Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Microsoft investigates Windows 7 'B.S.O.D'  (Read 3999 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Microsoft investigates Windows 7 'B.S.O.D'
« on: December 01, 2009, 05:07:06 PM »

Microsoft investigates Windows 7 'screen of death'

Microsoft has confirmed that it is investigating a problem described as the "black screen of death", which affects its latest operating system.

The error means that users of Windows 7 see a totally black screen after logging on to the system.

The firm said it was looking into reports that suggest its latest security update, issued on 10 November, was the cause the problem.

Reports suggest the flaw also affects Vista, XP and other systems.

Software firm Prevx, which has issued a fix for the problem, says "millions" of people may be affected.

"Users have resorted to reloading Windows as a last ditch effort to fix the problem," the firm's David Kennerley wrote in a blog post.

"We hope we can help a good many of you avoid the need to reload."

Unknown problem

The firm said its fix did not work in all cases.

"There can be many causes," said Mr Kennerley.

"But if your black screen woes began in the last two weeks after a Windows update or after running any security program (including Prevx) to remove malware during this time then this fix will have a high probability of working."

Mr Kennerly said the firm had identified "at least 10 different scenarios which will trigger the same black screen conditions".

"These appear to have been around for years now," he said.

The firm reports that the problem affects editions of Windows 7, Vista, XP, NT, and Windows 2000.

Microsoft said that people who are affected by the problem should contact its customer service line.

A spokesperson said that the reports did "not match any known issues" documented by the firm.

It has not issued a fix for the problem, which causes the desktop, task bar, system tray and side bar to disappear, according to reports.

The "black screen of death" moniker is a play on the "blue screen of death", which appears when Microsoft operating systems crash.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8388253.stm

BritBrat

• Kitizen
Re: Microsoft investigates Windows 7 'B.S.O.D'
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 08:46:38 PM »

I was reading about that.

I have had no problems here but normally I do not have automatic updates on.

I did download the "Prevx" patch to my Windows Home Server just in case.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 08:49:08 PM »

Well it make a difference from a Blue screen of death.  :lol:
This is one good reason for me putting Linux as the main os on the new laptop  :D
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 02:52:14 PM »

I wonder why this wasn't picked up during the beta or RC testing phase.

I have not experienced any serious issues (not even a Blue Screen of Death) with Windows 7 during several months of RC and retail use.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 03:27:37 PM »

I wonder why this wasn't picked up during the beta or RC testing phase.
Simple answer, it's not true.  :graduate:

The latest news is that all such events are caused by Malware - saw one myself on Saturday (and fixed it).

Se: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8388253.stm