Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Upgrade TO W7 ?  (Read 4290 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Upgrade TO W7 ?
« on: November 23, 2009, 10:46:23 PM »

When we get a laptop for my daughter for xmas, we can get the one she wants with Vista Home Premium and a free upgrade to W7 price £17 ?  :'(
Or a dearer one of the same type with W7 installed.

If we go for the first option (cheaper ;) ) and get the upgrade disk from MS and because you have to wipe the hard drive do you think this is a full installation disk where as the dearer laptop would be only a recovery disk.

Quote.. "Upgrade to Windows 7 - From Windows Vista Home Premium for almost free!

Cost.
The estimated cost will be £17 to cover fulfilment and postage payable to microsoft at time of registration

Dates.
Customers who purchase models with Vista Home Premium between the dates of June 26th 2009 and January 31st 2010 will be eligible for the upgrade program.

Registration.
customers can only register their products between the dates of 1st December 2009 and January 31st 2010.

Delivery.
The Windows 7 media and COA's will start to be delivered from 1st January 2010.

Required.
Proof of purchase, model, serial number, and COA (Certificate of Authenticity) on bottom of laptop.

Coupon.
Products being manufactured from July will have a coupon with the below information in the box

Install / Format
Due to new EU regulations with I.E, the upgrade will require all data to be wiped from the hard disk before Windows 7 can be installed, it is the responsibility of the customer backup all their data and passwords etc
"
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: Upgrade TO W7 ?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 10:56:49 PM »

All Windows7 disc's are the full install disc.
It is the serial number that decides which version "full or upgrade" to install.

However, by wiping out the HDD you will also be losing any free software that comes with the PC, unless they come on separate disc's (which I doubt)

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 07:53:08 PM »

All Windows7 disc's are the full install disc.
It is the serial number that decides which version "full or upgrade" to install.

However, by wiping out the HDD you will also be losing any free software that comes with the PC, unless they come on separate disc's (which I doubt)

Re "All Windows7 disc's are the full install disc." But if we buy the laptop with W7 on it we will not get a disk will we ? or will it be a recovery disk.

Never bought a new computer before, :blush: either been given or built my own.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 10:17:21 PM »

First of all, I thought you were going for that other OS (Ubut.....)?

Basically, if you go for the cheaper option, you will be receiving a "Upgrade" disc and S/N, so you will have a disc to do with as you please with at a later date.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 10:37:01 PM »

First of all, I thought you were going for that other OS (Ubut.....)?
Yes then have a virtual pc with W7 on  ;)
[quote
Basically, if you go for the cheaper option, you will be receiving a "Upgrade" disc and S/N, so you will have a disc to do with as you please with at a later date.
[/quote]

:) Thanks.