Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: voyager 210 adsl modem reverts back to quick start with no connection  (Read 3753 times)

toofreedesign

• Just arrived

Hi,

Im new to the forums, but have had constant problems with my modem.

I am currently using Tiscali (yeah yeah, pick yourselves up off the floor now) and needed an ethernet router to network my Imac with my xbox 360 and my ibook, I went for an unlocked voyager modem as they were quite cheap and did the job, but after a trouble free fortnight I lost my internet connection for a few hours, assuming it was the router I uninstalled it and re installed my speedtouch to check, but neither connected, so.......when  Iwent to reconnect my voyager, when i go to 192.168.1.1 and go to quick start it loads the page then reverts back to the quick start screen and the green light for the internet connection remains off.

in a nutshell when i try to connect it jumps back to the start of the process. currently cant use 2 out of 3 of my pieces of hardware, and am getting increasingly frustrated!

Someone please help!!!!

Jon

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats

Hi Jon, and welcome.

It sounds as though you have no ADSL signal reaching the router. Assuming that you're not using a filtered faceplate, then the first thing to try would be a different filter and then a different phone socket. If you have an NTE5 master socket (the lower half of the socket is separately removable) then you could remove the faceplate and plug your router via a filter into the test socket inside. If you get a good connection with any of these tests then the problem is your filter or your internal phone wiring.

If you still don't get a connection, and your phone works normally, then you'll have to report an ADSL fault to Tiscali (and that will probably be a frustrating experience, so try to be patient. :) )
  Eric

toofreedesign

• Just arrived

i spent approx. £30 on the phone to tiscli when it first happened, but they dont try to help and try to blame it on me having a mac(?) which is convenient as they have no ma support!!

I know its not the adsl signal as im currently using my speedtouch modem on the same line, but ive tried to change the filters and also tried different socket, but it still didnt work, im pretty sure it is the router thats having difficulties, as it is the only part of the chain to have a problem.

i even reset the router and it still odes the same thing...

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk

Hi :)

As roseway says, if there is no green light then the adls signal isnt getting through to your router.
The green light signifies that you have attained *sync* with the exchange.  This isnt the same as getting an actual connection to the internet.  The router should always be in sync with the exchange if its plugged in barring line faults etc, and is why adsl is classed as always on.

However, there are certain routers that are better than others at getting sync on long lines.  Ironically the ST 330 is one of the best (usb) modems at being able to pick up the signal.  Since the router worked at one point, then both didnt - Im wondering if you have a troublesome and/or long line.

Is it possible for you to get your line stats out of the speedtouch and paste them in here.... but Do you only have a mac? - as Im not sure if you can get line stats from DrSpeedtouch on the Mac :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

toofreedesign

• Just arrived

hi guys, sadly i only own macs!! (sorry) designer by trade...when u have both macs connected to the router the lights that are lit up are....

power    DSL   {internet}    ethernet    USB

internet light is not lit, so i am getting a connection to the line, just not getting a connection to my ISP perhaps?? but the router itsef never goes through to connecting, it just jums back to the quick start screen/.

am thinking of throwing it out of my window....

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk

>> power    DSL   {internet}    ethernet    USB

Thanks for that - each router has slightly different lights (aside from DS + power).

>> so i am getting a connection to the line, just not getting a connection to my ISP perhaps??

It looks like it.  After "sync2 (dsl light), the next stage is authentication which is a 2 stage process (a) at the BT RAS (a super-exchange) and (b) with your ISP.

Theres various settings that can be put into the router - make sure the following settings are correct.

Protocol/Encapsulation :- PPPoA (PPP over ATM)
Multiplexing method: VC-BASED or VC-Mux
(On some routers the above 2 settings may be combined as "PPPoA VC-Mux".)
VPI = 0
VCI = 38
DSL Standard: G.dmt
Security Protocol: CHAP

Also make sure any user name (bt users should use their email addy usually in the form of firstname.lastname@btbroadband.com)

My own ISP has a set-up guide for the Voyager 210 which may also help - although the setup guide is for a PC, they also offer the MACs drivers from there.
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/index.shtml
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything