Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Poorly Boys  (Read 16047 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Poorly Boys
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2007, 12:01:26 AM »

>>> I was told that inquisitive cats sometimes ate these pellets

hmmm..   I had scattered some of these pellets a while before they became ill.. but not since cause its peed it down just about every day and I havent been able to garden. When I was out there today I noticed the slugs had been having a field day with my plants.
The neighbours either side dont bother much with their gardens.

But Ive actually used pellets for years and I dont think theyve bothered with them before. (Theyre both 12).
But its certainly something I will bear in mind though -  so thank you for the suggestion.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2007, 07:21:10 AM »

I really don't like those slug pellets for the reason Ratae mentioned - their effect on other wildlife. It's not just thrushes - they can have a devastating effect on hedgehogs too. I know that slugs and snails are the bane of a gardener's life, but I've worked round that problem by growing slug-resistant plants and using liberal quantities of bran around young vulnerable plants. (The slugs eat the bran, which swells up inside them, and... you can work out the rest :) ).
  Eric

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2007, 09:37:32 AM »

Far better to use Nematodes to kill slugs - they are microscopic creatures that burrow into the slug and eat it from the inside.  The added benefit is that an infected slug burrows down into the ground so you don't even need to dispose of the body.  The slug is also harmless if eaten by birds or hedgehogs (or cats).  The most well known brand is Nemaslug which you simply water on to the garden once or twice a year.  I get mine from greengardener.co.uk and the number of slugs and snails in my garden has reduced dramatically.  The hedgehogs that nest there each year get rid iof any slugs that the nematodes miss!

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2007, 09:53:13 AM »

a friend of mine is a keen spinach grower and had a big slug problem for years, so he built a anti-slug electric fence around his patch.  basically it was (or maybe still is) 3" wide strips of wood nailed together into a square, with 2 copper wires about 1/2 cm apart going all around the frame, and the wire attached to a transformer in his garage.  he only had 1 infestation all year ..... this was either a hardy slug or it fell of a birds foot as it flew by  :)

Paul

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2007, 10:32:41 AM »

The most well known brand is Nemaslug which you simply water on to the garden once or twice a year.  I get mine from greengardener.co.uk

Thanks for that suggestion jazz, I'll give them a try.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2007, 10:56:00 AM »

Also having a look at that site - thanks jazz.

They seem a bit cautious about how it works on snails - have you any experience on this - since its actually snails that do most of the damage in my garden.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

big gee

« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2007, 11:21:34 AM »

Reading these replies reminded me of an old retired vet I used to drink with years ago. He once told me that he could guarantee several cats requiring treatment every spring/summer for general malaise and eye problems. His theory was that this condition was caused by people treating their sheds, fences etc with creosote wood preservative. I dont know if that stuff is still in use tho.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2007, 11:28:11 AM »

I don't know if creosote is still available to professionals, but it was banned from public sale a couple of years ago.
  Eric

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2007, 03:08:39 PM »

The nematodes specifically target slugs rather than snails.  However snails don't seem too fond of them and seem to stay away from areas that have been treated.  My snail population (which used to be high) has certainly gone down since I started using nematodes about 6 years ago. 

Snails are easier to get rid of though - they're just slugs with handles on!

scottiesmum

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2007, 04:20:31 PM »

Kill  snails    :o :o

serve them with this Bordelaise Sauce   !!!!

1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
 1 oz. butter
 4 oz. diced beef bone marrow
1/4 Tsp. cracked black peppercorn
 1 sprig fresh thyme
 1/2 cup red wine (Use a good table wine)

bon appetit  !! ;)

Achilles Last Stand

• Kitizen
  • http://www.saveplanetrock.co.uk/ Save Planet Rock!
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2007, 04:34:24 PM »

Is that after you have fattened them up with nematodes  :o  8)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2007, 04:35:05 PM »

Sounds like a nice sauce, but I think I'd prefer it without the snails. At least I'd want them to be flushed out first. :-\
  Eric

scottiesmum

« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2007, 04:38:12 PM »

:lol:   fatten them with flour ....    clean them with vinegar  ..  it gets better this recipe  !! :D

fudgem

• Reg Member
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2007, 06:00:33 PM »

Do you actually eat them Kate?  or just give delicious sounding recipes to the squeamish.

I'm busy asking myself what is the difference between the prawns I've just had for tea, and snails.  They're a pretty similar shape, you have to take both out of the shell, it's just my mind revolts at the thought of eating snails, ??? and says yum yum to prawns

scottiesmum

« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2007, 06:12:55 PM »

Hi Anne, yes I do eat them now and again .... my preferred dish of snails is in  puff pastry  with Bordelaise  sauce... I must admit I don't like the texture much, but the taste is delicious ....   when you think that prawns are known as the 'scavengers of the sea'  it is funny that they are regarded as yummy! (I love prawns)  in fact I think there is only one thing I don't like, and refuse it every time now, although I did once give it a try  .... and that is eel ....there is a delicacy here that involves cooking it with lots of red wine and blood  ...but it's not for me .... :no:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4