Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Windows 7 IE8  (Read 4318 times)

Imagine.

• Reg Member
Windows 7 IE8
« on: October 25, 2009, 03:39:43 PM »

I was wandering does windows 7 still come with IE8 pre-installed or will it be browser-free ? 

The reason I ask is because I'm running an extremely cut down version of 7 where the ISO itself is just over 900mb, before you ask I made it myself using DISM and vLite and no I didn't spread it around by torrent or anything. Anyways when I try and run IE8 memory usage jumps from about 450-500mb to about 900mb and it actually crashes a lot.

PS, will windows 7 still use the same form of DISM as the RTM and RC versions ??
Imagine™

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Windows 7 IE8
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 05:47:42 PM »

As for IE8, I did a custom install of Win 7 Home Prem (purchased from Amazon) and I didn't get any windows asking on which browser to use, just got IE8 as default...So yes, IE8 is there  :o

I just installed Firefox, set it as my default browser and job done.

As for the ISO question, I don't know... Although the RC cannot be upgraded to the RTM version of the OS if that is any help  :-\

Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

Imagine.

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 10:39:01 PM »

That did help actually :D Thanks!!  ;D Im still looking at how different Windows 7 packages link together and which packages remove what :) kinda easy once you know how :P
Imagine™

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 11:39:33 PM »

Windows 7 professional from Dixons.

IE8 pre-installed - dont recall any options not to... nor other prefs being asked for.

Because I loaded into a Virtual Machine I mounted it from an Image of my original DVD..  due to the DVD reader taking an eon to unpack & install
(Known problem when trying to install windows7 from DVD to a VM - solution is to load from ISO)
Image size is 2.33 GB

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker