Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: warning to plusnet customers  (Read 2842 times)

kacey

• Just arrived
warning to plusnet customers
« on: July 06, 2007, 10:07:32 PM »

:(    After 3 yrs with plsnet i changed to sky after getting fed up with up/download speeds. For the last year i have had excuse after excuse for low speeds, which of course i believed because i didn't know any better, how many times have you heard low speeds blamed on your telephone line etc? My daytime speeds were 1.5 meg down/30k up, evenings were 1 meg down at the best/20 k up, and i was paying for 8 meg down/50 k up and having to stick with it becuase of bandwith usage Anyway, being a sky customer already, they contacted me about sky broadband and tested my line promising me DL of 16 meg/sec, so i took the risk and tried it. Now i have a free router,unlimited bandwith, regular upload speed at ANY time of 85 k/sec and downlaod speeds at ANY time of 10 meg/sec, all fpr £10 a month, and this has been consistant for 3 weeks!!!!! When i questioned the sky tech support about dl/ul speeds they would not commit themselves but suggested that capping speeds kept expenditure down, which they would not do. The only time i got a call from them after requesting many, was them trying to peruade me to stay by running down sky!

you have been warned!!!!!!!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: warning to plusnet customers
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 12:48:43 AM »

>> My daytime speeds were 1.5 meg down/30k up, evenings were 1 meg down at the best/20 k up,

What were your line stats..  It is entirely possible that it could be the condition of your line that does cause problems.

I'm close to the exchange therefore on a good line. 
My speeds with PlusNet are full whack and I get 6-7Mbps most times of the day.  When Ive had poor speeds in the past theyve always been exchange related.  I dont use p2p so havent been affected on that side of things.

My exchange is Sky LLU'd and of course I have considered the fact that I could get the even higher (>16Mb) speed packages, but I dont particularly fancy being tied in to an 18 month contract. Where I am atm if things do go belly up at least I can move on within 30 days.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kacey

• Just arrived
Re: warning to plusnet customers
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 01:33:27 AM »

Appreciate what you're saying, line condition is a factor and i was convinced that the problem lay there, so how come 2 days later my speed increase with sky was so dramatic, too much to be co-incidental with any maintainance i think. Yes my speeds were p2p related and both plusnet and sky were the p2p speeds. My speed on sky is the same for both p2p and every other use, my speed on plusnet for other than p2p was 3 meg dl daytime, 1 meg evening after 5pm, ul was 30 k day and 20 k evening, ever tried to upload 4 websites at 20 k? Not funny combined with endless drop-outs. Plusnet claimed to not be capping p2p use, i don't believe them now and find many of their statements to be ambiguous to say the least!! Why pay £21.99 for that when sky costs £10.00 and no bandwith penalty. I am 1,200 mtrs from the exchange and sky reported the line to be in very good condition, and proceeded to prove it! Plusnet had me make 15 calls to BT to complain and investigate, every time BT said there was no problem, obviously there wasn't. Dan Elwells speed test reported possible speeds of 7 meg dl and 55 k ul, plusnet refused to aknowledge this report, there is a lot of money to be saved by capping your users and blaming it on their phone line. Good luck to the plusnet users who are satisfied. If sky fall below the line capability that they advise you of, in writing, the contract is void by their own admission, i checked first, and i am on a 12month contract. best wishes to all.