Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Download line rate ok - but what about upload?  (Read 3245 times)

Admacp

Download line rate ok - but what about upload?
« on: October 06, 2009, 08:05:35 PM »

I've been having 1 or 2 issues with my broadband connection recently and happy to say that "touch wood" I have almost resolved mine. Basically I had a slowdown one morning that forced my IP Profile down from 1500 to 250. I was reading elsewhere on this forum about routers with a Broadcom chipset in them. I knew that my Home Hub 2 didn't have this type of chipset so I then had a thought about an older router I had - a Belkin 7632uk4 (ver 8).

I opened it up and noticed it had Broadcom internals. I then downloaded DMT Tools and set about the process of changing the SNR from my current 15 down to 6. First issue was that Telnet is not "switched on" by default in Windows Vista. Sorted that with a google search on how to "start it". Then had an issue with very slow access to the telnet commands - sorted that when I deleted all the BT software and let Vista "find" the Belkin router. I found that the DMT tools could not reduce the SNR down far enough so worked out how to do it via telnet (adsl configure --snr 65500) and checked the connection speed and it had shot up to 1920 (I had mucked about with other figures to gradually ease it up & down to this figure).

At first nothing happened and the IP Profile and rubbish download speed stayed at the 250kbps mark until just under 3 days later it jumped back up to an IP Profile of 1500! The only issue I have is that the upload connection speed is 384kbps when I know it should be 448kbps. Does the upload connection speed matter? Using various speed checkers the upload speed I am actually achieving is around 0.32Mb/s which is slightly slower than I used to achieve at 448 kbps (0.37Mb/s) with the Home Hub router (The Belkin seems to be faster at downloads than uploads for some reason???) The other thing I have noticed is that the ping rate has increased slightly from a steady 73 and now is 86.

Can anyone tell me if the upload speed affects the ping rate? I am a gamer and could do with it as low as possible (I have a long line so interleaving I assume would always need to be on).

One last thing - I was gutted when my download speeds slid from around 1.48Mb/s at lunchtime today to around 0.5Mb/s around 6pm. I assumed it was congestion but then I noticed that the wireless connection status icon at the corner of my screen only showed 2 bars. I checked everyhing on the router and as a last hope I changed the wireless channel from Auto (which had put the channel to 1) to channel 11 and set the wireless mode from 11g only to mixed 11b/g and that increased my download speed back up to 1.48Mb/s.

I have learnt a few lessons if I have any slowdown issues again:
1/ Use a router that is "tweakable"
2/ Once the SNR is tweaked and are able to achieve a fast(er) connection (at least up to where it was after the 10 day stabilisation period) then leave things alone for at least the 3 day period.
3/ If there are any strange slowdown periods - check the wireless signal strength and change it if needed.
4/ Thank everyone who has contributed to this forum.

hake

• Reg Member
  • Owzat! On ya way, back to the pavilion!
Re: Download line rate ok - but what about upload?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 08:32:54 PM »

I had an upstream issue.  It sank to 384kbps, then further down to 256kbps.  Eventually it was solved by replacing the filtered faceplate, at least I think that was the cause.  Matters improved afterwards.  I can only think that a duff component in the discarded faceplate was introducing noise which affected the lower frequencies that the upstream signal uses.

I now use a clarity.it modified BT faceplate.

I would imagine that upstream speed variation only has a very modest effect on ping rate, especially since ping data rates are probably low.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 08:38:43 PM by hake »
Windows XP

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 11:24:23 AM »

>> Can anyone tell me if the upload speed affects the ping rate? I am a gamer and could do with it as low as possible

No - speed and latency arent the same. Latency is all about how long it takes a data packet to get from A -> B, whilst speed (or rather bandwidth) is about how many packets you can send between A <-> B at the same time.

If you are a gamer then you are going to be more interested in how quick it takes that 'Fire' button command packet to reach the remote server...  and this is why gamers prefer stability over speed.

Latency should more or less remain the same regardless of the bandwidth.  For eg over the years Ive had upload speeds of  256kb -> 448 -> 832 -> 1.2Mb and now on 2.2Mb upstream.. but my latency has more or less stayed the same throughout all of them.

448kb should be the standard upload for Maxdsl..  if you cant reach it then normally it would indicate either a very long line.. or problems with EMI.  - Check your filters and internal wiring.

The ping increase could either be the router (sometimes you can see a small variation between the type of router used).. or it could be that the DLM has increased your depth of interleaving.
Wireless rather than LAN connection will also normally always show a slight increase in latency.

Finally if you are getting lots of errors (CRC/HEC) then this will also have the effect of slowing down your traffic.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

GunRunner

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 02:00:12 PM »

If you are a gamer then you are going to be more interested in how quick it takes that 'Fire' button command packet to reach the remote server...  and this is why gamers prefer stability over speed.

Kitz. Is this true?  I was always under the impression that Fastpath as opposed to Interleaved (error corrected) was the best (fastest) option if possible.  In fact for the past 2 years I have had Fastpath set by talktalk when administering and flying the flight simulator  IL2 Forgotten Battles on a server in the Data Center in New York.  My ping with Fastpath is in the region of 20ms faster than Inerleaved.  That is 40ms when you see the aircraft then fire at it and the bullets strike the moving object that has also got a ping time of sometimes up  to 250ms!  Please corret me if I am wrong!

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 02:30:05 PM »

Hi
Fast path  is no interleave

quote  If you are a gamer then you are going to be more interested in how quick it takes that 'Fire' button command packet to reach the remote server...  

so chose no interleave ie fastpath.

and this is why gamers prefer stability over speed.

If necessary will sacrifice speed by increased Target SNR margin to reduce errors so that interleave is not required .

Regards Jeff
edit to target SNR
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 02:36:46 PM by jeffbb »
zen user

anything