Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Unusual problem  (Read 2692 times)

Deloosk

• Just arrived
Unusual problem
« on: July 04, 2007, 07:36:23 PM »

Hi there

I was hoping that someone here might have seen a problem similar to what I'm about to descibe:

I live in rented accomodation and had an ADSL faceplate already installed when I arrived. Quickly I noticed that I was getting overspill on the line which would disconnect me from the net. The weird thing is that it comes and goes. It will be fine for days and then suddenly start overspilling again (normally if the phone has been in use).

I thought it was the faceplate and so removed it and plugged a standard filter straight into the primary line in. This seemed to do the job and for a couple of days I was happy. But then it went down again. It's the randomness of it that confuses me: It's unpredictable and seems to happen regardless of what filter I install. Why do I not have noise on the line constantly? If I could work that out, I might be able to stop it all together.

I have thought about buying a fancy overspill reducing filter but want to be sure it will solve the problem first. Could there be any other cause of this overspill, and why is it not constant?

Any and all replies welcome  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Unusual problem
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 09:36:58 PM »

Problems when the phone is in use can be the result of whats known as a high open fault.  Various things can cause high open such as water on the line, or oxidisation of one of the joints.

Because it comes and goes, then we can perhaps count out the filter.

Have you tried a quiet line test to see if you can hear any noise on your phone when this occurs?
(Dial 17070 and select option 2.)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker