Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Site seemed down last night around 23:00  (Read 4565 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Site seemed down last night around 23:00
« on: September 25, 2009, 08:23:42 AM »

Just wondered if this site is hosted via Rapidswitch? My hobby site was unavailable last night for a few hours because of emergency maintenance at Rapidswitch which took out DNS and when trying to get here I got the same DNS failure (should say not the DNS servers I use). I know Rapidswitch provide server farms for several hosting companies.
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Site seemed down last night around 23:00
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 01:41:31 PM »

I started to wonder what was going on last night... as sometime before midnight, much of the internet seemed unavailable to me.  
A friends site hosted with another company was down and I also noticed that an ISP website that I was trying to look at was down too.  
This site was ok for me though.

I sussed later on that there was some DNS routing issues somewhere...  and then realised that my own site may also be affected.  
I was ok here since I was obviously caching...  and at first thought it may be Be's infamous DNS, but no...  it looks like this may have hit quite a lot of UK sites.  :'(

>> I know Rapidswitch provide server farms for several hosting companies.

Im not hosted with them, but it looks like my hosts use Rapidserve for their own DNS. http://www.robtex.com/dns/kitz.co.uk.html
Luckily though because they use 2 x DNS for resiliency...  they were able to switch over to the other.

I did actually see them rebooting the server as I was using the CP at the time....  and briefly saw a 'Server restarting" message at about 12.15.

This was the SS message from last night

Earlier tonight the network used by our primary nameserver (which is hosted offsite) was required to undergo emergency maintenance. This maintenance was scheduled to be brief however the outage was much longer than expected, causing disruption between 11:30 and 00:30.

We therefore relocated our primary nameserver which has resolved this issue. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused tonight.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 01:47:25 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 06:01:23 PM »

Ah coincidence then.... my site has been down again today because my hosting company's servers are with Rapidswitch and they have been  messing around again today during the day. Been up and down like the proverbial lady of the night's underwear.... not a good advert for Rapidswitch.
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 12:12:27 PM »

>> Ah coincidence then

Yes & No.

In reality the site was still working fine, it was just DNS was borked... and you could still get to it if either DNS was cached or via the IP.

I dont know what my hosts do for sure,  but it looks like they possibly have one box at rapidshare doing their DNS and another at UKWeb.... and can switch between the 2.
My hosts were fairly quickly able to switch over to their backup nameservers which resolved it

Unfortunately any sites actually hosted with rapidswitch, or any sites whose hosts were on rapidswitch's server farms, or any sites whose hosts use rapidswitches nameservers without having a redundant system, will have been seeing problems for much longer.

Looked pretty bad.. there were still problems about 24 hours later...  and many many sites affected. :(

>> not a good advert for Rapidswitch.

Nope it isnt  :'(
Particularly in view of their 'catfight & champagne' marketing campaign which was only this week.  Theyve now got  egg on their face big time :/
Whoops there goes the 100% SLA.  Wonder how much this is going to cost them.... both in financial terms and their reputation.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything