Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Star, Daisy, Regular - which BT cable set up do I have?  (Read 5020 times)

djnield

Star, Daisy, Regular - which BT cable set up do I have?
« on: September 20, 2009, 01:39:17 PM »

Trying to understand my set-up I think I may have 2 NTE5 - can you clarify?

1] BT cable comes from underground to a grey box on the outside wall.
2] 2 black cables from grey box go to ground floor property and 1st floor property (my flat).
3] Black cable enters communal hallway to a junction box where white cable runs to my flat.
4] NTE5 attached to my wall with A/B connections using both orange wires - no equipment connected to this master.
5] I then hard wired an extension using both blue wires upstairs where router & phone is connected.

Do I have two masters (external & internal) if so, can this impact my ADSL quality?

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Re: Star, Daisy, Regular - which BT cable set up do I have?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 03:07:26 PM »

Hi djnield and welcome,

I'm not sure of the question you're asking. It quite permissible for several lines to be provided from a single cable.
You've said you have a master socket and then an extension socket, but you've not said whether the cable to the extension is fed back down the cable feeding the master socket. If so that is not the best arrangement but it might work in practice. By far the best solution is to use either a BT SSFP with a phone socket and a RJ11 modem socket or the similar one e.g. from ADSL Nation fitted on the master socket.

http://www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php

The modem should be as close as possible to the master ideally connected by a good quality shielded RJ 11 cable.

http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=121

Kind regards,
Walter

djnield

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 03:18:05 PM »

Cheers Walter,

It's because of that very link to the face plate that I'm asking, and confused. Read so much recently about syncs, cables, filter and the rest that I'm getting overload lol.

The extension I installed myself into the back of my existing NTE5 face plate because I can't connect my router (or phone) to the master, hence the need for an extension. I want one of these filtered plates but as I can't plug the router into the master I'm confused as to whether it's redundant - can I fit one of these face plates to the extension upstairs?

The other thing I can't get my head around is if I have the ring wire connected. Definitely not on the master as I wired that but my master only has 2 wires connected, both of them orange.

I welcome any explanations  ???

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 04:57:04 PM »

Hi again djnield,

You'll find a good explanation of connections here:-

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

IN NO CIRCUMSTANCES WHATEVER should you connect to the back (BT part) of your master socket.
Your extension MUST be connected to the front removable part of the NTE5 and you should ONLY connect (any coloured pair) to pins 2 & 5 in the master and in the slave socket. Any socket in use with a phone or modem must have a filter included.

A master filtered faceplate can only be fitted to an NTE5 but you can achieve the same result with dongle type filters.

If you wish to experiment to ensure your house wiring is in order you can buy a 10m RJ11 cable

http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=41

and run the wire up the stairs temporarily.
If necessary you can use an ethernet cable or home plugs with your modem downstairs and your computer(s) upstairs.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
walter

djnield

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 06:05:50 PM »

Sorry Walter my explanation perhaps wasn't the best - the extension is connected to the back of the front face plate so no issues there.

I guess I was just after the neatest, best quality cables in the house to achieve a top connection (daily resyncs but I'm not going there  :no: ). I can put up with the dangly filter, it's not a big deal, I just like neatness  ;D

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 07:37:32 PM »

In which case, if you are after the neatest solution you have two relatively easy options:-

1.  Buy an ADSL Nation faceplate, fit it to the master socket and connect your extension wires to the filtered pins marked A & B in the blue  IDC block but you would then need to use a DECT wireless phone plugged into the master socket only.

2.  Buy the ADSL nation faceplate and a non BT NTE5 look-alike

http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=114

leave the BT master socket as is, remove your slave socket and substiture the NTE5 look-alike, remove its front faceplate and replace it with the ADSL Nation faceplate.

(I had avoided option 1A using two pairs into two sockets upstairs for neatness and to avoid possible cross talk.)

Kind regards,
Walter

djnield

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 10:51:25 AM »

Walter that's great!

Option 1 is a no no as there isn't any power sockets in the vicinity of the master socket.

But the second option sounds ideal and I think that is what I've been trying to figure out, thanks for the easy explanation. If the master was easy to resite (I know we're not meant to touch) I'd stick it in the living room but it would need holes drilling through the wall to pass cable through so your second option is perfect!

Cheers ::)