Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Do we need a new forum for Scams?  (Read 3700 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Do we need a new forum for Scams?
« on: September 19, 2009, 05:01:07 PM »

Just a thought.

Would it be a good idea to have another forum created for "Possible Internet Scams" in the Internet section Security section ?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Do we need a new forum for Scams?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 11:59:15 AM »

I've been thinking about this, and I haven't really reached a conclusion. On the one hand it would be nice to have reports on scams all in one place, separate from other security issues, but on the other hand it would somewhat dilute the effectiveness of new reports if they're buried down a level in the forum. Perhaps we could put older scam reports in a read-only archive folder for reference, but continue to post new reports in the normal security section?
  Eric

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 05:54:55 PM »

Hi
quote : Perhaps we could put older scam reports in a read-only archive folder for reference, but continue to post new reports in the normal security section?

That sounds like a very good idea . :). It would mean that new ones would be upfront ,and yet all scams could be browsed .

Regards Jeff
zen user

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 11:10:47 AM »

Hmmm... I had a think about this, but atm am not too sure either way.

At first thought archiving the older scams for read only did seem like a good idea..  but thinking again, in the past we've had someone new join the forum who'd found this site via google and had later added to it.

If they were archived and read only then they wouldn't have been able to do so..  after all some scams can and do the rounds for quite a while.  It would only really be brought back up to the top again if someone did need or want to add to add their experiences to it.
After a while they fall off the top page, but they are still there and can be googled.  Im not sure I want to archive them just in case someone did want to post something valid to it at a later date.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 04:29:58 PM »

Like yourself I don't think making them read only would be a good idea.

If they were read only, people would have to re-create a similar post just to say something like "It's Back Again" making what would effectively be double posts for the same item.

As with the "Spam Alerts" thread, if it's relevant then it comes back to the top (for a short while)