Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Bulldog - Slower Download Than Upload Speed  (Read 3205 times)

TSBecky

• Just arrived
Bulldog - Slower Download Than Upload Speed
« on: June 22, 2007, 10:20:24 PM »

Hello,

I am new to this forum and have joined as I have been having a nightmare with my ISP, Bulldog. I Moved into this flat in central London just over a year ago, connected my phone line with BT and then asked for broadband with them, they said they couldn't supply me with broadband for some reason, but after looking around, Bulldog said they could. So I switched to them and signed up for 8MB broadband. This worked fine for about 3 months, then all of a sudden I started getting extremely low download speeds. After several calls to Bulldog, they lowered me to 4MB broadband which seemed to work. 3 months or so after that it happened again. So more calls to Bulldog, eventually some tech guy said he changed the profiles or something and it did the trick. Then another few months later it happened again. So more calls, and they decided to lower me to 2MB Broadband, which again worked until last week.

Have been through many calls with the tech help people and am getting no where. They think it is my laptop, so I tell them that I can log onto another unsercured wireless network and it works fine. My friends laptop works fine on that network too, yet has the same very slow speeds if she connects to mine at home. So I guess its not my laptop. So they think its my router, I have borrowed my friends router which works at her house, yet when I use it at mine I still get the same slow speeds. Have tried the USB modem that they supplied me with when I signed up, still the same problem. Changed the filters, no luck.

I went to internetfrog to test my connection and for some reason I am getting a good upload speed of about 400 kbps, yet my download speed varies anywhere between 8 kbps and 160 kbps or so. I have told Bulldog this, and all they can say is that they are supplying me with 2MB broadband, which my router says I am connected at, and that they are not responsible for the 'throughput', so I am at a loss as to what to do now.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Becky :)
xxx
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 01:29:52 PM by kitz »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Slower Download Speed Than Upload Speed
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 11:29:33 PM »

Hi becky and welcome :)

Can you please supply us with the line stats from your router.
(Choose the instructions re the router you are using).

Details we will need are
- Sync (Connection) Speed)
-  SNR (Noise) Margin
- Attenuation
- Details of any CRC/HEC/Errored seconds
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything