Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: UPS  (Read 52804 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: UPS
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2009, 07:35:31 PM »

You have my sympathy OF. Fixing broken computers can be very frustrating (particularly if they belong to someone else). :(

No, I love fixing other people's, just hate having to fix my own. :comp:

Just a shame I don't get paid for it, or I would be a wealthyier person.  :lol:
Yes friend and neighbours I am referring to you because I know you come here sometimes, so start coughing-up.

(At times I am able to type faster than the print shows up on the screen, so that tells me there is still something not quite right)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2009, 10:52:29 PM »

Just thought I would update you on my Pooorly PC  :sick:

First of all it started out being a faulty graphics card that caused my original problem (it blew up) although it did not fail immediately.
However even after changing the card, formatting the HDD and reinstalling XP, it still would not run properly, although it did seem to settle down "for a short while" (couple of hours)

After suspecting a faulty power supply, which was replaced made no difference, the other option was possibly the main board (which has had a slight problem for the last few years) had finally given up.
Although I changed the PSU it did not make that much difference to the way it "sometimes" starts up. (So probably not that)

But most of the time can't get past the BSOD or it freezes on either the Windows boot screen or Windows startup screen.
Regardless of any of the STOP ERROR messages, windows sometime does boot-up after several hard boots.

I ran a full HDD test with the setting to "Automatically Repair" any bad sectors etc.
Which found one error. (Windows replaced bad clusters in file 3009 of name \windows\system32\config\secEvent.Evt.)

First thought was the error probably occurred from one of the many "hard boots" the PC has suffered over the last few days since the original problem.

But to cut a long story short.
What seemed to have happened was, when the system originally went belly-up it damaged one of the sectors on the HDD (although it was not the OS HDD)
Even after CHKDSK repaired the bad segment it made no difference.

But if you recall I also said earlier that I had also re-installed XP so as to have a nice fresh install with the new graphics card.
Although after the install I had also lost approx 2GB of space compared with what I normally use (and had not even finished loading all of my programs)

The problem was now 2 fold, possibly a faulty re-install, plus re-installing onto a PC with a faulty HDD, that was due to the earlier crash.

So.
Faulty graphics card caused a crash which damaged a HDD.
Faulty XP re-install due to damaged HDD.
Chkdsk resolved the faulty segment with no further damage to the HDD.

But before I actually decided to throw the damn thing out of the window, as I had now spent over a week (10+ hours a day)
I first decided to re-ghost it back from when it "was" actually running properly, (nothing ventured, nothing lost) and yes, you probably guessed it, "IT NOW WORKS FINE" :dance:

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2009, 08:24:01 AM »

Not to be out done by TD,UB's new power back up arrived this morning  :D

Routine maintainence to sub station apparently

« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 08:29:55 AM by UncleUB »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2009, 08:28:12 AM »

:lol:

That'll give you about three months backup power.....just enough time to shut down properly.  :D

Judging by the sign on the side, I presume it is a prezzie from Kitz ?  :D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2009, 08:36:48 AM »

Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2009, 08:39:35 AM »

Blue got very excited when he saw it,he thought it was the sausage sandwich van. :D

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2009, 08:41:41 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]