Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: T Mobille + Orange  (Read 2245 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
T Mobille + Orange
« on: September 08, 2009, 09:15:13 AM »

Just been announced that T Mobile and Orange have merged in the UK.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/08/orange_t_mobile/

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: T Mobille + Orange
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 10:41:37 AM »

Thanks UB.

Deutsche Telekom and France Telecom today announce that they have entered into exclusive negotiations to combine T-Mobile UK and Orange UK in a new 50:50 joint venture company.

The new joint venture will create the UK’s leading mobile operator. It will have a combined mobile customer base of around 28.4 million, representing approximately 37 percent of UK mobile subscribers*,

../snip/..

This combination will bring substantial benefits to UK consumers. It will result in expanded network coverage and enhanced indoor and outdoor network quality for 2G and 3G services, as well as better customer proximity through a larger network of own shops and improved customer services.

Full statement Deutsche Telekom and France Telecom plan to merge T-Mobile UK and Orange UK to create a new mobile champion

I thought much of their network overlapped anyhow.  So there will be savings to be made for both companies by merging onto the one network.

The downside I suppose is less consumer choice.
Does anyone else find it ironic that since OFCOM regulations and 'free for all communication network access', in the long term... actually seems to be giving us less choice...  afterall look what has happened in the ISP industry, and its only the big companies now that seem to be able to survive and set the pace.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 10:44:20 AM »

Also happened in the transport sector - see how often "National Express", "Stagecoach" and "First" crop up.

Monopoly by region.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 11:18:42 AM »

Yep..  not just telecoms.. but everywhere when you think about it.
Supermarkets..  and even most shops/stores are the same where ever you go.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 12:21:16 PM »

Can anybody suggest that the UK as a whole has benefitted from the BT and Virgin broadband offerings presently available?

In many ways the last mile duplication in some areas and the lack of it in sparser areas, together with the horrible conditions of the aluminium sections of the last mile might seem absolutely ludicrous ? Similarly that the BT group are trying to catch up with services which are bound to be inferior but nobody is really trying to address many of the grotty-spots which are by no means all in little rural hamlets.

Kind regards,
Walter