Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New BT Speedtester  (Read 10629 times)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
New BT Speedtester
« on: September 06, 2009, 10:51:57 AM »

Hi everyone,

As this subject looks as if it could require further investigation I've started this thread seperately from the news item.

I have managed after a few attempts to get the speedtester to work remotely using www.logmein.com into an Apple Mac running Firefox.

I too only entered the phone number and it did not ask me for the ISP's log in name.

As the line has been capped at 512 {BT IPStream Home/Office 500 (Rate Adaptive) (IPH5DM)} the end result screen is similar to the one which used to be displayed on the now discontinued BT W fixed rate ADSL service:-

The speed test has completed on test server test.speedtester.bt.com for user 01483272xxx and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of

453kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

Your IP address is xx.xx.xx.xx, your browser is reported as being Firefox 5.0 and is running on Macintosh PPC Mac OS X Mach-O.

BT would regard the speed ranges shown below as normal service:

For 250kbps End Users speeds between 50 - 250kbps.
    For 500kbps End Users speeds between 100 - 500kbps.
    For 1000kbps End Users speeds between 200 - 1000kbps.
    For 2000kbps End Users speeds between 400 - 2000kbps.

You may now disconnect from the speed test account (click disconnect in your internet connection window) and if you wish to regain normal access to the internet please re-connect to your ISP using your usual username and password.

Please note that test results may vary according to varying traffic in the network. If you continue to experience slower throughput when logged in to your ISP, this may be due to a slow internet site or high traffic levels beyond the BT Wholesale Network. Please report this situation to your ISPs helpdesk.

Please visit FAQ section if you are unable To understand the test results.

I also note that the FAQ contains some interesting items as shown below.
Perhaps Kitz or ano would like to add a fuller description on this excellent web site ?

Kind regards,
Walter

[attachment deleted by admin]

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: New BT Speedtester
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 11:55:10 AM »

We are talking about http://speedtester.bt.com/ are we? The reason I ask is that it's quite different for me. I do have to enter my ISP login, and the result page looks like the attached. I'm on an ordinary ADSL Max service, accessing it with FF in Linux.

Eric

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 12:13:36 PM »

Yes Eric,

I'm using the same URL but I'm reasonably sure I get a different end result as this line is on a capped speed.
You'll see that UncleUB got a similar picture to yours.

The following picture is my screen capture of the remote Mac's screen.

Kind regards,
Walter

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 12:29:11 PM »

I got the same screen as you have posted Walter,but only had to enter my phone number.It states, enter your phone number or your phone number and service ID.
Why ask for your service ID if its not needed.......or could it be not needed if your ISP is BT (like mine is)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 12:31:51 PM by UncleUB »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 12:38:37 PM »

Yes, I see the same initial screen, but after entering the phone number I get the second screen which demands my login name. It's not quite the same as before - the login name (the bit before '@') and the domain name (the bit after '@' are given separate boxes, and only the login name is obligatory. I guess that if your ISP is BT you don't get the second screen. :-\

Why ask for your service ID if its not needed

It's shown as optional (no red star beside it) and the FAQ document says that you may need it if you get errors from the speedtester otherwise.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 12:42:09 PM by roseway »
  Eric

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 12:57:33 PM »

This is getting quite intriguing !

I suspect there's a degree of testing continuing by BT.

I had noticed that testing a BT provided service I ddn't have to enter any other data.
The service I'm monitoring is being provided by Zen and I always had to enter the zenxxxxx@zen before but not any longer !
I also note that, although it says there's still the VERY frustrating 3 hour interval between tests, I was able to repeat the speed test immediately.

Furthermore on this very long line the old BT speedtest showed much poorer results that a TBB speedtest did.
That's now changed with BT showing 458 kbps and TBB 467 kbps, both whilst still monitoring the screen with logmein.
(Beforehand I always used to log off so that "my" traffic didn't affect the results.)

Kind regards,
Walter

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 02:51:10 PM »

Hi
@roseway   I get exactly same as you .ISP Zen.

Regards Jeff
zen user

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 10:29:08 AM »

Hi,
The results with the new speedtester on my line are interesting: download speed 6792 with IP Profile of 5500.
Anybody else getting download speeds higher than their IP profile?

Quoting from the FAQ section:
 A4. Explanation of results:
    * Download Speed is 450 Kbps. This is the actual rate achieved during the Performance Test.
    This rate will never reach the IP profile rate and this is normal.

Cheers,
Peter

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 06:21:04 PM »

Hi

Another first ,I guess BT tester needs to be tested  :lol:
Regards Jeff
zen user

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 02:50:23 PM »

Sent: 07 September 2009 10:31
To: Support
Subject: BT speedtest site changes

Hi,

Not sure if everyone is aware or not but BT have made a couple of changes to their speedtest site :- http://www.speedtester.bt.com

Now on the front page it asks for telephone number and service ID.

This has a question mark next to it  ? which shows the following text:-

This is another identifier like telephone number that uniquely identifies your broadband service.
You need to call your ISP to get this service ID.

What the customer does is pick up the phone and call us asking for their service ID as they fail to read is the next part

THIS IS OPTIONAL check FAQ section for more details

The next page asks for username and domain, again the domain name is not a mandatory field.

Just a heads up in case you get asked for a customer’s service ID or domain name.

Cheers
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 07:59:03 PM »

Updated main site

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 11:13:06 PM »

Hi Kitz and Leo,

Just to complete your enjoyment of BT's new facilities I thought you might like to see how BT presume that it's your fault (again) when their tests fail**.
They also ask you to include the ID which nobody has told me anything about yet.

** I know that I'm not making mistakes as this picture was taken via one of my laptops remotely. I have to select the radio button before I can do anything. I then type a 0 and my browser has remembered the whole phone number precisely. I must confirm that the number my browser has remembered is indeed the correct one. I then have to wait for about a minute before the second screen appears and I paste the Zen user name directly into the correct box before pressing the go button. Lo and behold on the second time of asking I'm rewarded with the results I expected the first time.

Oh the joys ................

Kind regards,
Walter

anything