When I tried to install sp2 for Vista 32 it failed the installation just before the end of the first part.I got in touch with MS . I received prompt reply and some instructions on how to solve the problem. I have attached these in case it is of help to someone else to either attempt to sort the problem out or at least be prepared if using MS help . I have made a couple of corrections where the original was not quite right. I have also added some procedures that I added to make the task easier .
Note the first 4 steps are to send a report to MS incase of failure (mod note: not included here)
.Note the installation routine will reset everything back if it fails .
go to step 5 if you want to try and resolve problem with SP" failure to load
******* NOTE SP1 MUST BE ALREADY INSTALLED
Perform the following steps mentioned below:
5. Delete the temporary files "and folders" from the following folders:
Click Start, type the names of the folders given below one by one in the Start Search or Run and press Enter or Click OK to open the following folders: -
6. Click Start -> Control Panel -> User Accounts and click on "Turn User Account Control On or Off".
7. Uncheck "Turn UAC (User Account Control) to help protect your computer" and click OK.
8. Restart the computer on prompt.
9. Click Start, type services.msc in the start search and press "Enter" key to open the Services window.
Right click on the following Services and click STOP to stop the services.
- Background Intelligence Transfer Service.
- Cryptographic Service
- Windows Update
NOTE: Do not close the Services Local Window as it will be required after following the next few steps.
10. Click Start and then click Computer.
11. Open the C: Drive and then open the Windows Folder.
12. Look for SoftwareDistribution Folder and rename the folder to SDold.
13. Now look for System32 Folder in C:\Windows and open it.
14. Look for Catroot2 folder and rename to CT2old.
15. Close the current Window.
16. Now go back to Services Local Window and right click on the same Services we stopped in Step 9.to restart them
17. " prepare " to Uninstall the anti-virus software, firewall and spyware or adware protection software installed on the computer.
*****NOTE: After uninstalling the Security Software and once SP2 is installed and configured successfully,
we will be reinstalling the Security Software. If you have the disc for the security software can reinstall it.
If not and was provided along with the computer can contact the computer manufacturer or can contact the Security Software
developers for further assistance.
***** before proceding with the uninstal I downloaded all the software I required as none are on disk *****
***** I also created a SYSTEM restore point appropriately named *****
" to uninstall"
· Click Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features to get the list of installed programs on the computer.
· Select the anti-virus software from the list and remove it from the computer.
· Select the firewall software from the list and remove it from the computer.
· Select the spyware from the list and remove it from the computer.
· Select the adware from the list and remove it from the computer.
· Restart the system when they are uninstalled successfully.
18. Try to install SP2 manually.
· To install the Windows Vista Service Pack 2 manually, you can also use the following Microsoft support site:
For 32-bit Vista: " this is the one I used "http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a4dd31d5-f907-4406-9012-a5c3199ea2b3&displaylang=en
For 64-bit Vista: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=656c9d4a-55ec-4972-a0d7-b1a6fedf51a7&displaylang=en
· Download and save the 5 Language Standalone Package of SP2 on the desktop.
******* NOTE SP1 MUST BE ALREADY INSTALLED (reminder)
19. Try to install Service Pack 2 from the downloaded package
NOTE: Please provide us with any Error Code or message if the installation or configuration fails.
You can also find these steps on our support website http://www.microsoft.com/uk/support
and the article # is KB935791
Mod note - I edited your post to include the full text of the attachment - so people can find it more easily!