Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Domain Hosting  (Read 13201 times)

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Domain Hosting
« on: July 20, 2009, 05:09:42 PM »

Hi all,

I have a friend who has a small business and would like a website.

I have offered to design a site for her however she needs to set up a domain and web hosting.

The site isn't very image based but I don't really know what I am looking for.

Email forwarding would be a good thing but I know most packs include them free.

Could anyone recommend a good package (obviously not too expensive!)

Cheers

Jamie
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

pintosal

• Reg Member
Re: Domain Hosting
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 06:22:57 PM »

I use the Zen web hosting at £3.99 per month, see http://www.zen.co.uk/Hosting/Hosting/web-hosting.aspx

I find it's OK, with good support.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 07:22:19 PM »

Over the past 9 or so years Ive used various hosting packages with various different companies.

I think you can guess what will come next because Vidahost is by far the best hosting company Ive used.  Their Customer support is brilliant and they allow you to change between packages as your site needs change.
You can start with something quite small from £20 per year and I think they are still running the offer of a freedomain in the price.

500Mb of space and 5GB of transfer should suffice for a small business start-up site without many images.  As and if the site grows then they can always upgrade.  Ive been on a few of their packages.. right up to the business pro 2..  Then I needed more and wanted my own root access but couldnt afford the cost of dedicated hosting so we came to a bespoke arrangement which gave me exactly what I did need at a fair price.

Ive never had to wait more than 20 mins for a personalised reply to my emails no matter what time of day or night... most are responded to within a few minutes.
If youre unsure about anything or if a package is right for you..  just ring them and ask.

---
Updated url
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 07:58:45 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 07:57:47 PM »

£25 for two years with a free domain reg.

Thats truely cheaper than anything I have found.

Thanks Kitz, I will look into Vidahost, they seem a very good company!
Kind Regards
Jamie

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 06:58:56 PM »

Kitz,

Thought I would let you know I signed her up with Vidahost today with two years hosting for £29 with free domain registration!

After logging in for the first time the hosting account was ready for file uploading in around 5minutes. Excellent! :)

Once again thanks for you recommendations!

Jamie :)
Kind Regards
Jamie

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 07:31:20 PM »

yw..  happy web designing :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 06:36:08 PM »

Apologies for resurrecting an older thread but quick question

With Vidahost can you point your web space to your domain name yourself or do you have to supply the domain name to Vidahost and they do this bit internally. If you see what I mean.

With 1&1, which whom I host at mom, adding a domain name is simply done (by the user) via the control panel.

Apologies for asking a silly question.

Cheers

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 06:46:54 PM »

Do you mean changing the nameservers? In which case yep its easily done through "My Vidahost".

For example, your domain is paid and managed by Vidahost but your hosted by 1 & 1?

This is probably what you mean?:-
http://www.vidahost.com/domain-names/what-are-nameservers.php

If you are ensure give them a call or email them, details here
Kind Regards
Jamie

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 07:03:13 PM »

Once you've set up your account you have access to cpanel and then its simply a case of adding on new domains.
It depends on whom you bought the name from and if you wish to retain that company for name renewal or if you want to also use vidahost for the domain registration.
If youre transferring from elsewhere drop them an email and they will point to the correct name servers.

Or if you have a domain name thats bought through elsewhere...  all you do is via their CP put in vidahosts name servers.

For eg I originally bought kitz.co.uk through easily and in easily's CP I input vidahosts nameservers.   Then I just added kitz.co.uk in my vidahost C-Panel.
I did it all myself through the control panels, but vidahost will help out if you get stuck.
-----

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 09:49:58 PM »

jid said:
Do you mean changing the nameservers? In which case yep its easily done through "My Vidahost".

For example, your domain is paid and managed by Vidahost but your hosted by 1 & 1?

This is probably what you mean?:-
http://www.vidahost.com/domain-names/what-are-nameservers.php

If you are ensure give them a call or email them, details here

kitz said:
Once you've set up your account you have access to cpanel and then its simply a case of adding on new domains.
It depends on whom you bought the name from and if you wish to retain that company for name renewal or if you want to also use vidahost for the domain registration.
If youre transferring from elsewhere drop them an email and they will point to the correct name servers.

Or if you have a domain name thats bought through elsewhere...  all you do is via their CP put in vidahosts name servers.

For eg I originally bought kitz.co.uk through easily and in easily's CP I input vidahosts nameservers.   Then I just added kitz.co.uk in my vidahost C-Panel.
I did it all myself through the control panels, but vidahost will help out if you get stuck.

Many thanks for the clarity just wanted to make sure that this could be done. I will give them a shot.

One final question, do you know offhand if any of their hosting packages offer email scanning included. I could not find any reference to this on their website.

Cheers

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 01:09:29 AM »

I personally dont use it as I have my own system of spam control these days - but they do offer Spam Assassin & Clam AV.
Bit hard to remember from my old package when I had it turned on..  but it does mark spam and possible virus files in the header.

These are some of the options from their C-Panel for mail (screen shots below)

-----
PS cheeky I know... but if you are going with them,
would you go through this linky:-  Vidahost as the site may get a couple of quid.

Im not recommending them for the £ -  
I recommend them because I am very happy with them... and they are far better than any other hosting service I have used over the past 10 yrs or so.

Thank you.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 01:18:20 AM by kitz »
-----