Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 512Kbps fixed line query  (Read 8817 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: 512Kbps fixed line query
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 10:20:33 AM »

>> The first one is - does the connection rate change automatically at the exchange/router

No, it needs a resync.
However there does appear to be a time when the router/exchange will automatically resync, and thats if your target SNR changes via the DLM change after a period of stability to decrease your target.  This is not the same as an IPprofile change.

Dont reboot the router too often as you want the DLM to think your line is stable.  If it the IPprofile then may be easier to check via the BT performance tester.

>> The upload connection rate for the Belkin is usually 384 where it was 448 on the Home Hub until it fell away to a current 416

Upload should be 448kbps. Its the standard upstream connection speed for maxdsl.  Upload frequencies are at a lower range than downstream, and should be unaffected by what goes on in the downstream range.

The usual advice is to check your internal wiring/filters/ringwire etc as you have already done. 

>> My noise margin (down/up) used to hover around 5.8-6.0down/6.0-7.0up. It is currently sitting at 12.2down/6.0up. (Does the noise margin come down automatically first and that allows the connection rate to improve itself or is it the other way round?).

It looks like some instability (or perhaps too many disconnects has fooled the DLM into thinking the line is unstable) which has increased your Target SNRM.
If the line is stable for 14 days, in theory this should drop back down in 3dB stages.

Each 3dB of target SNR will be costing you anywhere between 400-1200 of sync speed..  but as your line is long...  probably more like 400kbps.

When the target SNRM comes back down - this is the time mentioned above in my first paragraph, where your line will reconnect automatically.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Admacp

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 10:43:29 AM »

Checked my stats this morning and the SNR has reduced overnight to 10.7 and my IP Profile has increased to 1000 although the downstream & upstream rates remain the same. I was keeping an eye on the SNR all evening and watching it come down in 0.1db stages approx every 45mins to an hour.

It would seem to me reading through your recent reply to my query that I should only reboot the router when the SNR comes down by at least 3db. (i.e. if it was 12.2 then I'll wait until it is below 9.2 before doing a reboot and then wait until it comes down again to below 6.2 before doing a further reboot or probably more likely wait until the SNR has dropped by at least 6db so that I don't reboot too many times) That way the connection rate should improve back (hopefully) to the original 1856 to give me back my IP Profile of 1500.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2009, 09:53:28 AM »

>> SNR has reduced overnight to 10.7

Its normal to see SNRM fluctuations over the course of the day.  Its normally at its worse in the evenings when more people are at home using their connections and have more electrical items switched on.

>> I should only reboot the router when the SNR comes down by at least 3db.

The higher the SNRM, then the more chance you have of getting better speeds.
Rebooting the router when the SNRM is low, means that if for some reason the SNRM drops even further, then theres a possibility of errors occurring on the line.  You stand a better chance of increasing your IPprofile if you reboot when the SNR is high.

Have a read of  SNR, SNR Margin and Target SNR which may help you understand what goes on.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 [2]

anything