Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Incoming connections from OpenDNS servers?  (Read 9796 times)

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
Re: Incoming connections from OpenDNS servers?
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2009, 01:25:43 PM »

Ok gang,

I think I've resolved the issue concerning 'Incoming connections from OpenDNS servers ?'

I emailed OpenDNS and received a very courteous reply from one of their support people, who told me that their servers only ever send out responses to valid DNS enquiries. I just could not account for why this had suddenly started happening, although in the back of my mind I kind of remembered something about a tick box saying something along the lines of 'Use openDNS', but for the life of me, I just could not remember where that was from. A little 'googling' pointed to an application by Apple called Bonjour, which apparently gets installed by stealth when you install any Apple software. I went through the uninstall process for that application, sometime during yesterday, and haven't received any further repeats of the openDNS connections.

Just thought you all (or some of you) might like to know.

TTFN

toulouse
Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2009, 03:42:43 PM »

A little 'googling' pointed to an application by Apple called Bonjour, which apparently gets installed by stealth when you install any Apple software. I went through the uninstall process for that application, sometime during yesterday, and haven't received any further repeats of the openDNS connections.

I have to chip in at this point that Apple-ware (is that what I should call it) does irritate and slightly scare me.

For very good reasons that I won't go into, my other half has an Ipod-Touch, and so our main home-desktop has Itunes and all that goes with it.  I've lost count of how many times I've noticed suspicious disk activity, or slow CPU response and, upon checking with windows Task Manager, it's some irrelevant Apple process that's sprung to life.   Most of the time I've no idea what it's doing, but I won't/ can't get rid of it and, in any event, it just seems to re-enable itself again next time the Ipod gets connected.  I'm sure 'Bonjour' has caused me grief too, but I can't recall the details.

Anyway Toulouse, good to hear you've resolved it and sorry if I've wandered a bit off topic.

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2009, 04:24:28 PM »

Hey, no problem 7LM - I just hate it when things like that happen, and I don't know why they're happening.

In the constant battle between computers and people, I think that means 1 up to us humans

TTFN

toulouse
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2009, 05:04:53 PM »

I've had something weird happen to me with Bonjour in the past too... that was installed by Adobe.

In the end I used a lil application I found somewhere that removes all traces of it..  will post back if I can remember wth it was.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 05:08:29 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2009, 05:15:00 PM »

Found the tool I used  - it was called TurnoffBonjour.exe  ::)

I dont think this is where I downloaded it from - but it seems to be the same thing

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2008/02/10/how-to-uninstall-or-remove-bonjour-mdnsresponderexe/

Bonjour, also known as zero-configuration networking, enables automatic discovery of computers, devices, and services on IP networks. Bonjour uses industry standard IP protocols to allow devices to automatically discover each other without the need to enter IP addresses or configure DNS servers.

If you’ve installed software by Apple such as iTunes, software by Adobe such as Premiere Pro, Skype, Gizmo, chances are there’s already a Bonjour folder in your Program Files. This service starts automatically and runs a process named mDNSResponder.exe which cannot be ended by Windows Task Manager. If you do not want Bonjour to be in your computer and want to uninstall it, sometimes you can’t find any uninstaller for it! Even if you go to Control Panel’s Add or Remove Program, you can’t find the uninstaller there as well.

The rest of the page gives removal instructions and a link where to download the tool to turn it off
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2009, 05:24:25 PM »

That's interesting.

I uninstalled via Control Panel / Add or Remove programs, and it doesn't seem to have come back........yet !!!

I'll keep an eye on the little devil

TTFN

toulouse
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

Pages: 1 [2]

anything