Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Importing Laptop from USA  (Read 9244 times)

nomeames

Importing Laptop from USA
« on: July 12, 2009, 11:38:00 PM »

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right forum to ask this question. But then I thought, since you guys deal with computer and stuff, someone here might be actually able to answer this. Actually I am thinking of buying a laptop from the USA. The value is $1400.00 + $30.00 p+p. I read somewhere that there is no import duty on laptops. Only the VAT (15%?). Can anyone guide me on this matter? Has anyone had any experience in importing laptops from USA and how did it go with the customs?

Thanks in advance. Cheers !! !

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: Importing Laptop from USA
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 02:41:06 AM »

Sorry can't help with any of your question, but just be careful of the voltage!

Out voltage is 240 volts, the voltage in the USA is 110 volts, so you "may" need to buy a step-down transformer/adapter.
Maplin Electronics used to do a fairly good selection.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 06:52:17 AM »

There will be no import duties to pay.....as long as the product is described on it's accompanying customs documentation under the UK customs commodity code which is: 8471 3000 00
VAT will be payable at 15%

The other down side, additional to OF's comments above, is that any warranty bought in the US may be invalid in the UK...and/or be difficult to enforce.

nomeames

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 09:50:56 AM »

Sorry can't help with any of your question, but just be careful of the voltage!

Out voltage is 240 volts, the voltage in the USA is 110 volts, so you "may" need to buy a step-down transformer/adapter.
Maplin Electronics used to do a fairly good selection.

There will be no import duties to pay.....as long as the product is described on it's accompanying customs documentation under the UK customs commodity code which is: 8471 3000 00
VAT will be payable at 15%

The other down side, additional to OF's comments above, is that any warranty bought in the US may be invalid in the UK...and/or be difficult to enforce.

Thanks for replying. I think the laptop I am trying to buy (VAIO) has an autoswitching power supply for voltages between 110 and 240 volts. I would just need a plug adapter to suit UK plugs.

I understand warranties would be VERY difficult to enforce in case of international purchases. To be honest I am only taking a chance (based on my past experience with Vaio laptops). The specs I am looking for are either not available in the UK (Vaio notebook) or are twice the price when compared to UK/Canada.

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 08:19:00 PM »

I imported an ASUS notebook from the U.S. last year.  No duty just V.A.T. but check with HMRC that this is still the case.

The power supply I got is a standard unit - all that required changing was swapping the IEC 'kettle' plug cable to a 3 pin U.K. one which I had from a previous notebook.

I received an international warranty but other manufacturers will most probably be different so make sure you research this well for your intended purchase.

pintosal

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 11:28:17 AM »

Also, try to purchase with a credit card so as to get additional consumer protection.

Shearwater

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 11:14:04 PM »

Not sure abouit laptops, but I bought an Ipod Touch in New York last year.
The screen started playing up a couple of months ago so I went on to the Apple website thinking that I'd have no chance of a repair because I didn't have the receipt & it was bought abroad.
They just asked for the serial number & then sent out a box to return the faulty unit. I got a new one within a week.