Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Phantom CD Drive has appeared.  (Read 4150 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Phantom CD Drive has appeared.
« on: June 23, 2009, 01:21:42 AM »

The last few weeks I notice virtually every-time I turn on the XP PC and look in "My Computer" (Explorer) there is now an extra CD Drive showing.

If I click on it it just says "Please Insert a Disc into the drive" but the problem is, this drive does not exist.

Adware, Spyware, Virus checks all reveal nothing.

Although the PC runs ok etc, it just annoys me that it's there and shouldn't be.
Has anyone any suggestions please.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
Re: Phantom CD Drive has appeared.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 03:01:49 AM »

Have you recently installed or upgraded any programs that might have installed a virtual CD-ROM drive? Like Nero, or MagicISO for example?

A lot of CD burning suites will install a virtual drive similar to what Daemon Tools does. These virtual drives allow you to "mount" a CD or DVD image file (ISO or other proprietary format) that is on your hard drive and use it as if it was a real CD or DVD, rather than burning it first and then using the physical disc.

If you need a further clue as to the origins of the "drive", try looking in Device Manager inside the "DVD/CD-ROM drives" category, which may well give you the info you need to find the culprit!

Good luck!
Chris

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: Phantom CD Drive has appeared.
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 02:50:43 PM »

MagicISO, mmm, in the past it has been installed. but not recently.
Device Manager reveals only my existing CD/DVD drives.

However, I have recently set my shared USB drive as mounted in one of the other drives because of drive letter changes when I forget to turn on the USB drive before plugging something else into a USB socket.
Although I the problem started to happen before that. (Actually thinking about it, it started a long time ago)

So it sounds like it's going to be something that got left-over from a program install then.

As I said, it does not effect the PC (that I am aware of) "it just annoys me being there"
So looks like I may have to live with it.
But I will try re-Ghosting the PC to a earlier time and see if that stops it from showing.
(Only problem is, MagicISO was installed and removed a long time ago, so it may not help)

edit
I forgot to say, it does not necessarily show all of the time, just most of the time.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 03:05:17 PM by oldfogy »

anything