Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Windows 7 will Ship Web Browser Free in Europe!  (Read 17212 times)

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Windows 7 will Ship Web Browser Free in Europe!
« on: June 12, 2009, 04:09:39 PM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8096701.stm

This is very interesting.

I like the idea but I still think I will stick with Vista on my main pc.

Although buying a new laptop from Dell so may wait until after Jul when Vista will be liable for Free updates to Windows 7 when it releases. Will see how it goes...
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

pintosal

• Reg Member
Re: Windows 7 will Ship Web Browser Free in Europe!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 08:16:42 PM »

You have to wonder how this will work.
Will Microsoft include other browsers as part of the installation, so that you can choose IE, Firefox, Opera etc?
If they only provide IE on the machine/CD/DVD, then it rather defeats the object.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 07:12:47 AM »

If your new PC comes without any browser installed,how do you get onto the internet to download one.......... :hmm:

Why not have the most popular ones(IE,FF and Opera) installed on your desktop,then its down to user choice.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 09:20:35 AM »

Hi UncleUB,

Although perhaps a nuisance, it shouldn't cause too many problems if the user has a memory stick with access to an older computer or perhaps that of a friend's.

Kind regards,
Walter

P.S. Please don't forget Safari for those on the other side !

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 09:28:11 AM »

Hi UncleUB,

Although perhaps a nuisance, it shouldn't cause too many problems if the user has a memory stick with access to an older computer or perhaps that of a friend's.

Kind regards,
Walter

And what if that option is not possible...................I thought technology was supposed to move forward.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 10:27:38 AM »

Then as you said Unc - the Browsers would have to be included or maybe some downloader application will download the browser for you?

Its a good idea on microsoft's part as I cannot stand IE 7/8 and is very slow on my Vista machine, I keep with Firefox.
Kind Regards
Jamie

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 10:32:20 AM »

>>I thought technology was supposed to move forward.

But only if it's a viable proposition from the business viewpoint !

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 11:08:47 AM »

So, European versions without a browser, and everywhere else with a browser..............if I have my facts correct, that means that there are going to be eighteen versions of 7...... ???

That's even worse than Vista... :D

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 11:56:32 PM »

this is absolute madness  >:(

an awful lot of home users will not have a scooby on how to get a browser.....and let's face it, that's probably 95% of home users...most will buy a pc, take it home, plug it in and expect it to work out of the box!!!!

and if ducky is right, 18 bl00dy versions of a single OS ??? Have MS been losing money or something and need to try and blind/mislead/con even MORE out of people by telling them they need x version to do this, that or the other ?? Or its a major admission that the "basic" version wil be so full of holes that you "need" a higher (read more expensive) version to do what you want with it ?? THIS is the sort of thing OFT should be looking into

sorr for the rant, but it really gets me...vista was awful and now this......it almost makes me wish I liked linux (but unfortunately I don't  :no:)
8)..........Gettin' There, Wherever There is..........8)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 07:08:28 AM »

an awful lot of home users will not have a scooby on how to get a browser.....and let's face it, that's probably 95% of home users...most will buy a pc, take it home, plug it in and expect it to work out of the box!!!!

Totally agree,and when you have paid 'x' hundreds of £'s you would expect it to.

Imagine this scenario Christmas morning............

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 09:20:01 AM »

Imagine this scenario Christmas morning............

People would be gutted if their new laptops etc couldn't get on the web :no:

I think if the idea is thought out right and say IE,Firefox etc are included and the user gets to choose their own browser well then that good enough for me ;D
Kind Regards
Jamie

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 10:47:58 AM »

Tbh,whats easier than having the main browsers installed on your desktop,then you choose and away you go.

The other option would be a cd with them all on.

Your new pc always comes with loads of trial software pre installed,so why not internet browsers.........

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2009, 03:02:02 PM »

People still exist who haven't yet got either a PC or Internet, so imagine this is their first purchase of a PC, internet package and router...

So, these people can download a browser once they're online and that's probably not too big a problem as long as some means is provided for downloading the browser package that doesn't assume an existing browser exists.   Microsoft say in the article thay'll 'make it easy', and I think they'll be able to do that OK as long as the system's already on line.

But - and isn't this quite a big 'but'?    Some of the better ISP packages require that the routers be configured using an html browser in order to get on line in the first place.  Errr...

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2009, 04:40:24 PM »

Hi sevenlayermuddle,

You have a good point there, although it would be a very tall ask for an initiate to start absolutely everything from scratch without a little semi-skilled help.

If one was aware of this situation, you could choose an ISP such as Zen who will deliver a fully configured modem as I believe BT also do.

(You might even choose an Apple Mac to avoid this and a number of other complications !)

Kind regards,
Walter

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2009, 05:34:58 PM »

I wonder how Linux manages at the moment. Certainly if I install a distro it configures everything and establishes an Ethernet link to my router and thence to my ISP without installing a browser. Mind at this point the router has already been set up with Windows and I have never tried to set up a Linux installation from absolute scratch. But I'm sure it must be possible.
Tony
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything