Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ADSL drops when using the phone  (Read 2954 times)

Grevenation

• Just arrived
ADSL drops when using the phone
« on: May 25, 2007, 04:36:26 PM »

Hey there, long time reader first time poster...!

I've been having fairly consistent problems with my broadband connection ever since it went live. For the first six months or so it was dreadful, extended periods of downtime occuring regularly, but after work was done at my local exchange that no-longer happens.

However, now I find that whenever a call is picked up on my home phone, or a call is made out, my ADSL connection drops for 30 seconds to a minute or so, then all is fine until the call is terminated, at which point the connection drops again for around a minute. Enough to drop me out of the online games I play regularly, so it's becoming highly frustrating.

Several people "in the know" told me it sounded like a dodgy microfilter. So, going by recommendations on Kitz, I bought an ADSL Nation XF-1e, and all was well again, for about 24 hours. During that time there was no noise on the line and any use of the phone didnt affect my ADSL in the slightest. This morning I took a few calls and still nothing went wrong, but at around 2pm I had a phone call and I lost connection. Further test calls proved my worst fears, it's the same old problem all over again. High noise on the line, ADSL drops when the phone is used.

There's only one phone socket in the whole house, being small as it is, so I'm certain my microfilter setup is correct. I don't understand how it could work perfectly for a while then suddenly go wrong again. At the time of writing this, about two or three hours after the first disconnect in over a day, the problem remains. I'm getting desperate to solve this, and it seems that repeated calls to my ISP arent getting me anywhere.

Any advice or suggestions would be most welcome.

Thankyou!

-Rob-

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: ADSL drops when using the phone
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 06:44:27 PM »

Hi Rob, and welcome.

This sounds rather like a line fault, such as a high resistance fault. If you can get your connection stats from your router/modem these might help. If we could see the stats before using the phone and then after, it could give us a pointer.

Eric
  Eric

anything