Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: TV deals? Need new tv  (Read 67410 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: TV deals? Need new tv
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2009, 08:55:44 AM »

Thanks for mentioning roseway.  Yes there was an apect / ratio button on both the F+H and Tevion remotes.. and also within the settings/config.

In fact both of them had the following options
~ 16:9
~ 4:3
~ Zoom 1
~ Zoom 2
~ Auto

It was using these setting that corrected the set whilst in Anologue or DVD mode.  But when in digital mode it didnt work.  I strongly suspect that it is as stated on several places on the interwebby that certain digital firmwares in use do not handle the 16:9 format correctly.  Both the Tevion and F+H sets used the same firmware - although the Tevion was a different version as it also did a 7 day EPG...  but unfort they dont seem to have corrected the 16:9 issue.

Aside from the 4:3... Changing these settings has no impact when in digital :/

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2009, 09:42:25 AM »

Oh dear, back to the drawing board (again) :(
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2009, 10:45:45 AM »

I know that aspect ratio control is a bit of a minefield.  The standards are vague and open to mis-interpretation, and both set-makers and broadcast-equipment-makers have been known to make whopping mistakes.  It sounds like your new TV doesn't get it right.

There's an interesting article about some aspects (no pun intended) of aspect ratio control at:

http://www.pjdaniel.org.uk/afd/index.asp

In theory, I think if a TV carries the digital tick logo it's meant to be compatible with anything that's broadcast.  But I also suspect that getting the tick may be largely a self-certification process and so open to abuse or mistakes, and in any case budget sets without the tick may perform perfectly well too.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2009, 04:31:42 PM »

Took the Tevion back and got a refund.
btw forgot to mention I did get someone else to check just to make sure it wasnt me being stupid, and they confirmed that the 16:9 wasnt working properly on the digital firmware.

The one in Argos still wasnt in stock so I went to comet and got one of these.
Decided the best thing to do was go see them in the store and make sure they were ok.  It does appear to be and all looks fine ..  plus the remote actually works properly too.

Note one of the reviews says

A good quality 16:9 lcd tv (most others at this price are 16:10).
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2009, 04:34:45 PM »

Thanks for the linky 7LM

Still waiting for the page to load atm, but will hopefully be able to have a good read when it does.
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2009, 04:39:13 PM »

That's a 22-inch set, so it should have the 16:9 aspect ratio, as you say. Here's hoping it works out this time! :fingers:
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2009, 05:15:10 PM »

That's a 22-inch set, so it should have the 16:9 aspect ratio, as you say. Here's hoping it works out this time! :fingers:

Yep  - I decided to pay the extra and get a 22" as it did appear to be that it was more the 19" that were plagued with this problem.
TBH I wasnt too happy about having to spend £200 as it was more than I budgeted for, but in the end I decided it had to be done for the sake of my sanity.

HP also had to send back a 19" because of this.. would be interesting what he did in the end and which model it was.   I do strongly suspect that it depends on which firmware the manufacturer is using, and it would appear that the cheaper brands are the ones that have it.

In view of past experiences.. too early to say for sure...  but this one does seem perfectly fine.  One of the advantages of actually viewing a pile of sets in the store itself was you could see which sets did and which didnt.
Got the poor chappy from comet to get the remotes out so I could try them out and look at the firmware first too. 

The firmware in this one is MUCH better.. it also has picture in picture...  the EPG was a lot clearer.... it has proper on screen display.. and the EPG isnt white text on a paleish blue background which I found hard to read on the others.

Ive never heard of UMC before... but when I was playing with the remotes in the store it changed the channel on the Goodmans or Bush sets.
Looking at the documentation that comes with the TV the company is actually skymediauk

-----

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2009, 05:25:26 PM »

HP also had to send back a 19" because of this.. would be interesting what he did in the end and which model it was. 
I think mine was made by DigiMate, I bought it from DABS as it looked like a bargain. Just sent it back and got a full refund.
Oddly the online product reviews are all wonderful - maybe not everyone is as picky as me?  :graduate:

Still using the old CRT with ancient Nokia freeview box; I'll probably replace it sooner or later but it's not a current priority.  8)

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2009, 04:43:06 PM »

Not sure if its been mentioned, but good reviews on lcd tvs can be found at http://www.lcdtvreviews.org.uk/

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2009, 09:42:04 PM »

Still using the old CRT with ancient Nokia freeview box; I'll probably replace it sooner or later but it's not a current priority.  8)

Don't be in too much of a hurry, HP.  I resisted the urge, until my gave out about a year ago ago and we now have a nice 40" Sony on the wall.  I compared lots in the store and chose the best picture, and the reviewers raved about it too  It's nice to turn down the lights, play a DVD, and imagine you're at the cinema.   

But...

Our old 4:3 CRT went to family, who we visit regularly.  Each time I see the old set I'm still bowled over by how much better the picture quality seems on the old CRT  :)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2009, 11:25:34 PM »

Each time I see the old set I'm still bowled over by how much better the picture quality seems on the old CRT  :)
I recently brought a 32" LCD and had exactly the same similar conversation with someone only 2 day's ago.

LCD's are not all they are cracked-up to be.
Yes, initially they may look very impressive, usually because we have gone up in size, but after a while you start to notice the little things.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2009, 12:09:54 AM »

Each time I see the old set I'm still bowled over by how much better the picture quality seems on the old CRT  :)
I recently brought a 32" LCD and had exactly the same similar conversation with someone only 2 day's ago.

LCD's are not all they are cracked-up to be.
Yes, initially they may look very impressive, usually because we have gone up in size, but after a while you start to notice the little things.

Good to hear I'm not the only one, OF.

But regardless of that, now that Kitz has done all the research, and if the latest one really does prove good... all this puts me in a mood to follow suit with that latest set  as my own bedroom telly is nearing 20 years old and my eyesight these days really needs a bigger screen. Keep us informed, Kitz, and hopefully this one'll work out well!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2009, 08:40:45 PM »

>> Keep us informed, Kitz, and hopefully this one'll work out well!

Reporting in.

Ive been poorly the past few days and mostly confined to bed as I'd get dizzy when getting up and moving around... so the TV has had a damn good workout..  Far more than I would normally use it..  and I couldnt have bought it at a more opportune time.

I have to say....  I love this TV and am well pleased with it. Only downside...  "who is UMC"?

Picture is clear.. 
so glad I had one with a decent remote - because I really could not have coped having to move to change channels like with the Aldi one. ...  and the bigger screen is very nice.  The TV has been on more or less constant for the time I was ill and Ive found no problems at all with the firmware nor the aspect ratio.
-----

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2009, 09:00:12 PM »

I have to say....  I love this TV and am well pleased with it. Only downside...  "who is UMC"?
After following a UMC link from google I eventually ended-up here:-
http://www.marksandspencer.com/gp/node/n/79450031/277-6481846-5161440

Is yours one of those models?

edit
Don't know if this might interest you also, for unlocking the DVD region code:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/dvd-player-hacks/834613-unlock-code-umc-tv.html
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 09:06:09 PM by oldfogy »

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2009, 09:29:52 PM »

Don't be in too much of a hurry, HP.
Well I've got another "irresistible bargain" on its way to double-up as a Freeview TV and widescreen PC monitor; should arrive Wednesday so I'll report back then.  ;)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

anything