Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Common IE settings for all users of a PC  (Read 15388 times)

canon

• Reg Member
Common IE settings for all users of a PC
« on: May 11, 2007, 02:20:01 PM »

Hi,
I want to make some IE settings the same for all users on a PC. In particular in the Connection\LAN settings so every user has the same proxy server. (For Metronet web filtering).
At the moment, I can only do this by getting every user to set it up individually; as an Administrator on the PC, can I make common settings somehow? Using XP Home and IE7.
The PC is connected via a Netgear DG834, is there some way of doing this (using the proxy server) by configuring the router?
Thanks,
Terry.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Re: Common IE settings for all users of a PC
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 05:34:52 PM »

Hi,
I want to make some IE settings the same for all users on a PC. In particular in the Connection\LAN settings so every user has the same proxy server. (For Metronet web filtering).
At the moment, I can only do this by getting every user to set it up individually; as an Administrator on the PC, can I make common settings somehow? Using XP Home and IE7.
The PC is connected via a Netgear DG834, is there some way of doing this (using the proxy server) by configuring the router?
Thanks,
Terry.

Hi Cannon.
I think you can only do that if you are running a 'Server' then you can configure the 'User' settings with 'Active Directory' and this sends it out to each machine.
But for the stand alone machine you have to configure each user setting.
I use a hardware firewall ( using an old computer with smoothwall free software   http://www.smoothwall.org/          ) and this has a proxy server and I set all users accounts up with it's IP address.
I recommend you use FireFox web browser much safer the IE7.
Michael
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

canon

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 08:44:10 PM »

Thanks for the reply. Setting up a server is probably not a possibility in this situation (it's not at my home) and especially it's outside my knowledge base!
The proxy server is provided by the ISP (Metronet) and offers web filtering which has useful categories. Also, web pages & downloads are a bit
faster when using the proxy.
I'll do it the hard way.
Oh yes, I agree about FF, it'll mean a bit of user training though.
Terry.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 08:45:56 PM by canon »

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 08:51:14 PM »

I remember when I used to dabble more in Windows 9x/2000 that with IE5 or IE6 you could use the Internet Explorer Administration Kit (IEAK) to create a customised IE installation, which may (cant quite remember) have included those sort of settings. It certainly included browser customisation, default favourites etc.

Unfortunately, so far, I haven't seen such a utility for IE7.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 11:56:44 PM »

Thanks for the reply. Setting up a server is probably not a possibility in this situation (it's not at my home) and especially it's outside my knowledge base!
The proxy server is provided by the ISP (Metronet) and offers web filtering which has useful categories. Also, web pages & downloads are a bit
faster when using the proxy.
I'll do it the hard way.
Oh yes, I agree about FF, it'll mean a bit of user training though.
Terry.

Are you using it in an office ?.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

canon

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 12:10:18 AM »

Yes it is in an office, one that's associated with a church hence it being appropriate for web filtering  :angel:. There's one regular user and several intermittent ones who mostly don't need/use the internet. It's fairly straightforward for me to get the others to log on for me to set IE (or FF).

I wondered about deleting IE from each of the users start menu/programs folder, and having it in the  'All Users' folder. Would everyone have the same settings then? No harm in trying.
Terry.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 11:35:43 AM »

I wondered about deleting IE from each of the users start menu/programs folder, and having it in the  'All Users' folder. Would everyone have the same settings then? No harm in trying.

No, that wouldn't work. All that does is change the location of the shortcut - wherever you start it from, it still starts the same program.

As soms said, the IEAK is worth a look. I've just had a browse and have found the IEAK 7 which you may be able to customise a version of IE7 for your office e.g. with the correct proxy settings, and then install it.

Can't guarantee that it will work, but it might be worth a shot if you have a bit of time to play :)
Chris

canon

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 01:43:47 PM »

Yes I discovered it doesn't work this morning.
Maybe I'll try the IEAK 7 route when I have some time - got issues with a mail server at the mo!
Terry.

canon

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 04:48:52 PM »

I consulted a contact on this issue who's training to become a MS 'expert'.
He advised to install MS Group Policy Editor - it's standard on XP Pro but not the Home version.
Not been able to do it yet but here's how in case anyone else is interested or has experience of it.

Here is a link to get the files and install instructions and link to MS for 'how to use'.
http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showtopic=129347
Friend said
Start\Run , type mmc
Click on File, Add/remove snapin
Click Add
Add group policy  object editor
Click Finish
Click Close
Click okay
Click Local Computer Policy
Click Windows settings (underneath User config)
Click Internet Explorer Maintenance
Click Double click Connections
Click on Automatic browser config
Then make the changes you want to
Then close down in the normal way
Reboot and this should be globally applied

I'll report back when I've tried it.
Terry.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 11:59:55 PM »

As I put above    "I think you can only do that if you are running a 'Server' then you can configure the 'User' settings with 'Active Directory' and this sends it out to each machine.
But for the stand alone machine you have to configure each user setting.
"

Group policy is what is used on a server in 'Active Directory' unless you do you added software to each machine it will not work.
 You could have configured all the settings  while you are trying you mod !.

I looked after out local school with 30 machine and I configured the web browsers, anti virus, firewall, anti malware/ spyware  and each piece of software that wanted access to the internet because it went through a proxy server.
It was a lot of work ( and I gave my time for free ) to set up, until I installed a server.

Michael.
ps did you look in to what 'Soms' said to try above ?.

Pps .How many computers are you talking about ?

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 02:02:33 PM »

Group policy is what is used on a server in 'Active Directory' unless you do you added software to each machine it will not work.

Group Policy does work on Windows XP Professional machines in a non-active directory environment, but of course is altering settings on the one local computer. If you want to use Group policy on standalone PCs, they must all be Windows XP Professional and configured individually (unless you can hunt down some sort of settings file and copy it, but that would probably take longer that setting up each machine).

To launch Group Policy, type "gpedit.msc" at the Run prompt (Start > Run).

Connection settings can be set if you expand "User configuration > Windows Settings > Internet Explorer Maintenance > Connection"

This is probably more convenient to the IEAK, but in truth I had forgotten all about Group Policy when I first posted. Otherwise you can still try IEAK and see if you can customise one installation to install on all your machines (Home or Professional).
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 02:04:38 PM by soms »

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2007, 04:25:19 PM »

"Group Policy does work on Windows XP Professional machines" ....He's using XP Home and IE7. !

canon

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2007, 05:30:08 PM »

Yes it is for XP Home but you can install Group Policy on the Home edition as per my post above; got to try it yet.
I am just talking about a single PC with multiple users. However, still wondering about IEAK too.
The group policy may be useful to standardise Outlook Express too but I'll seek advice on that.
Terry.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2007, 12:18:36 AM »

If you have a spare computer I should try it on there first !.
But if not make sure you have a Back up !!! before you start.
Remember you have to be in 'Administrator' setting .

Michael.

anything