Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Netgear DG834 Router  (Read 101976 times)

bob.gas

• Reg Member
Netgear DG834 Router
« on: June 13, 2006, 06:54:38 PM »

I finely bit the bullet and bought one, but unfortunately can't get it to recognise the ADSL service.

I got so far in the Smart Wizard, then a page says "No ADSL service detected" (internet light flashing amber) which is strange as it is ok with my original router.

Tried wiring to the master socket, still not working. :?

Any advice for a dummie most welcome.

Bob
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'#039#039re a mile away and you have their shoes

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Netgear DG834 Router
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 01:23:05 AM »

Sorry Bob, I can't help you.

But, is flashing Amber the correct code for the router :?:

I think the others have gone for a ride in Stans car to try settle down the suspension so give then time to get back and they will probably be able to help.

Phil

bob.gas

• Reg Member
Netgear DG834 Router
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 09:42:04 AM »

I think the others have gone for a ride in Stans car to try settle down the suspension so give then time to get back and they will probably be able to help.

Phil[/quote]

:lol:  :lol:
They'll be very shaken up that's for sure Stan.

The amber light flashes on this router when it can't find the ADSL, and it a steady green when ok.

As you can probably tell, I'm not an expert.
   ](*,)

Bob
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'#039#039re a mile away and you have their shoes

bob.gas

• Reg Member
Netgear DG834 Router
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 09:43:39 AM »

:oops: oops sorry, meant Phil!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Netgear DG834 Router
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 12:17:07 PM »

The flashing light means it cant sync to the exchange.
You should have just been able to unplug the old modem and plug the netgear in the same place.

You havent changed anything to do wth the filters at all?
What is puzzling is that you say it wont work in the master socket either?

Have you tried the test socket behind the main socket and see if it works in there (trying to eliminate where the error is occuring).

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

bob.gas

• Reg Member
Netgear DG834 Router
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 03:05:18 PM »

Hi Kitz

Did you enjoy the ride? :mrgreen:

I haven't changed anything that I know of.
Just unplugged the eTec router and plugged the Netgear in.

As it wouldn't work I put the eTec back and voil?.... back on line.

I had this problem when I tried a Solwise Sar 600-ER from my ISP.
They were very good with the support, but eventually the guy decided it must be a faulty router and I returned it.

As for the  test socket, do I need to test that  if the eTec is working ok?

Got me baffled (not hard to do).

Bob

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
Netgear DG834 Router
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 03:53:43 PM »

Hi bob

Was out last night, hence me not seeing it sooner..  damn the suspension on stans car :)

I'm not sure if Ive asked you this in the past on some other occasion, but are you able to get any line stats out of the etec?

This is strange because the Netgear has a particulary good record on long length lines and being able to get and maintain sync.

By using the test socket you get the best chance of getting sync than anywhere else, and my thinking was that if the netgear could sync whilst in the test socket it was the best way of seeing if it was going to sync or if there was something wrong with the actual router itself.

However I wasnt aware that you had had a similar problem with another router..  which proves rather interesting. The etec isnt a router that Ive come across before so I know zilch about it really.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

mr_chris

• Kitizen
Netgear DG834 Router
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 09:05:46 AM »

Bob,

Largely a shot in the dark here... did you use the new RJ-11 cable that came with the new router, or did you use the old one?

The reason I'm asking is, that I know some old 56k modem cables were wired differently to other ones, and I'm wondering if there's something similar going on here.

It just seems slightly odd to me (and probably you too!) that two new routers don't work, yet the Etec seems to work with no problem.

Like Kitz says, the DG834(G) has a very good reputation with long lines. There's been several instances on other forums about people noticing success with this. Whilst I don't have a particularly long line myself, my DG834G is holding a steady sync at 8Mb whilst the Noise Margin drops to 0dB (and on occasion -1!). Most routers would give up the ghost when it dropped to about 3dB, and they would drop and reconnect at a lower speed.

Sorry if you've already tried the cable, but it's the only thing I can think of :(
Chris

bob.gas

• Reg Member
Netgear DG834 Router
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 08:48:48 PM »

Quote from: "mr_chris"
Bob,

Largely a shot in the dark here... did you use the new RJ-11 cable that came with the new router, or did you use the old one?

Hi Chris

No I haven't tried the new one yet, never gave it a thought.
I haven't had a chance to try the Negear router again just yet, too busy watching the footie.
I know, I know.......... but it only comes round every 4 years (that's my excuse).

I'm going to have another try over the weekend so I'll try the new RJ-11 and let you know the outcome.

Thanks

Bob

bob.gas

• Reg Member
Netgear DG834 Router
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 10:50:32 PM »

Hi Chris

Have done as you advised, changed RJ-11, ADSL cables + new filter supplied with the router.
Still same problem unfortunately.
I have posted on Netgears forum with one reply similar to yours, posted again, waiting any reply's.

This is a bl**dy pain. 8-[

All I wanted was a modern reliable router with firewall and hopefully better speeds (ADSLMAX getting 1Mbps.......yuk!)

Bob

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
Netgear DG834 Router
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2006, 03:39:36 PM »

grrr.. sounds like youre not having much luck with MAX or routers right now :(

Seems strange cause if irrc the estimate was 3Mb.... whats the highest sync speed youve seen?
-----

bob.gas

• Reg Member
Netgear DG834 Router
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2006, 07:39:24 PM »

Quote from: "kitz"
grrr.. sounds like youre not having much luck with MAX or routers right now :(

Seems strange cause if irrc the estimate was 3Mb.... whats the highest sync speed youve seen?

Dunno how to do it Kitz, sorry. :oops:

Have posted on the Netgear forums:

http://forum1.netgear.com/support/viewtopic.php?p=130854#130854

What do you think about what Eric says - "some firmware versions completely refuse to sync on some exchanges"?

Still don't know how to find the firmware. (Feel such a dummie). :-({|=

Bob.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Netgear DG834 Router
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2006, 10:00:16 AM »

Quote from: "bob.gas"
Still don't know how to find the firmware. (Feel such a dummie). :-({|=

As you've probably discovered by now, I've answered that question, but I'll repeat it here: it's on the status page of the router's web interface.

Funny how the same people pop up in different forums, isn't it? :)

Eric
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
Netgear DG834 Router
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 10:33:07 AM »

>> Funny how the same people pop up in different forums, isn't it?

lol.. that is so true :D

I'd also be inclined to follow John_ON's suggestion to enter the details manually rather than the smart wizard.

Once you have the settings in, you can keep the router plugged in to see if it can at least try and sync at some point.

In case you dont know which settings to use, theres a list of them here
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/router.htm

The default IP address for the netgear is 192.168.0.1
-----

bob.gas

• Reg Member
Netgear DG834 Router
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2006, 04:19:47 PM »

As you've probably discovered by now, I've answered that question, but I'll repeat it here: it's on the status page of the router's web interface.

Sorry Eric, blind as a bat.

Should have explained a bit better.

I did try the IP address b/4 but got "Page cannot be displayed" on Firefox & IE.

I will have a go at the manual set up when more time Kitz.
Apologies if I keep asking the obvious, but I really am struggling with this.

Bob
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7