Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Plusnet Home Phone Charges  (Read 2923 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Plusnet Home Phone Charges
« on: April 13, 2009, 06:29:52 PM »

Just seen on the Plusnet site that their home phone line rental increases on May 11th 2009 from £9.75 to £10.95 a month, an increase of £1.25.
Also their call connection charge increase from 4.4p to 8p,thats nearly a 100% increase.
So their BB and phone packages will increase to suit.

http://community.plus.net/blog/2009/04/06/new-home-phone-products/

poppy

Re: Plusnet Home Phone Charges
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 07:12:46 PM »

Yes, we are all pretty miffed about it and there's a long thread on the PN forum. As a Homephone user, I pretty much expected it really.
They have added some features for free that were previously chargeable e.g. voicemail and have reduced the price of some others e.g. caller display. However, for many this will not be of much benefit.
In my own case, if I went back to BT for the equivalent package (Anytime+) it would be 25p per month more but I would get the allocation of free 0845 and 0870 numbers so it would really make sense for me to change. Only trouble is, l like the one bill and am happy with Plusnet so I will probably put up with it. However, can't see them getting much new custom now as it has little advantage over BT.
It will be interesting to see what happens when/if sales are down and people begin to migrate out.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 07:53:07 PM »

I didn't think my crystal ball would be quite so accurate so fast !

>>As PN are part of BT there must be a reasonable chance that their culture and operating procedures will eventually become unrecognisable from those of the giant ?

on this thread

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=4278.msg110017#msg110017

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 07:01:54 AM »

>>As PN are part of BT there must be a reasonable chance that their culture and operating procedures will eventually become unrecognisable from those of the giant?

I agree with what you are saying Walter,but when you look at the present costs for both. BT line rental with paperless billing and Direct debit is £11.25 a month(correct me if I'm wrong) and option 1 BT BB is £15.99 a month which makes it £27.24 a month,where as Plusnet Value + Home phone evening and w/ends will (after May 11th) be £16.94 a month.If you cmpare the equivalent packages making calls anytime.BT is £32.19(£11.25 line rental,£15.99 Option 1 BB, and £4.95 anytime call add on)Plusnets will be £21.94( Line rental £10.95,Value BB £5.99 and anytime calls £5.)So for both comparisons you are looking at around £10 a month cheaper with Plusnet.
For me as I am in a market 3 exchange the Plusnet package is a lot cheaper than BT,and the big bonus is you can speak to UK based support(I wonder at some point if this will change).
At present I am on a reduced BB rate with BT of £9.49 a month,even if they offered me the same deal when my BT BB contract expires the Plusnet package is still a better deal.
So the bottom line is,even if Plusnet is under BT's wing it is a far better deal than BT's(if you live in the right area)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 08:48:30 AM by UncleUB »

poppy

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 07:52:11 AM »

UncleUB is correct - I am on a market 3 exchange and am using BB Value+Homephone anytime+ so all in all, it is a lot cheaper and this is one of the reasons why I shall probably stay put with my telephone line rental. Also, I appreciate the UK call centre and having had a telephone fault in the past, I am reassured by the fact that it was dealt with quickly and efficiently. There is also my referral discount which has brought the bill down to an agreeable sum.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 01:21:42 PM »

I did have an inkling that monthly charges would soon have to rise due to the increase in wholesale costs.. 
wasnt aware that the connection cost would increase though!... 

although tbh I havent monitored the PUG forum for about a week or so.. and the portal forums even longer. :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything