Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Block terminal connector  (Read 10600 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Block terminal connector
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 09:21:43 PM »

>> I guess this confirms that I am on LLU.

I'm afraid it does.  The 2 tests you did make it pretty conclusive that you are on LLU - and because eclipse tend to use Tiscali LLU, this is likely who is now providing the backhaul for your adsl. 

Since your sync speed and linestats appear ok...  your slow speeds are most likely to be at the ISP level.   That is of course saying that youve checked the obvious and made sure that any wireless connections are secure and that no other traffic is being produced on your local network via malware etc.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

keithiopia

• Just arrived
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2009, 09:42:46 PM »

I am considering changing ISP, this is good reason to.
I'm very careful about securing the wireless connection and looking for malware so I don't think it's that.
I attached a picture of that wire for you!

[attachment deleted by admin]

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 10:06:52 PM »

>> I'm very careful about securing the wireless connection and looking for malware so I don't think it's that.

From your earlier posts I didnt think it would be, but I had to state the obvious just for the sake of elimination :)

Thanks for the pic...  although the wiring is old..  in your particular case I dont think its actually causing any problems for you.  Your sync is fine.  The only thing Im not sure about is

undefined         (Near):252  (Far):6787

At a guess these are RS uncorrected errors (CRCs INTERL), if so you could be picking up a small amount of interference but these could come from anywhere and could be a noise burst when someone turns something on (EMI).

Your router also isnt providing your output power levels...  but Im guessing here that since your attenuation is so low, that there will be some sort of power cut back occurring (there was on my own line)...  even so that means nothing much since if you were ever to go full adsl2+ full power mode would kick in anyhow. 
If you are being power cut back, then this will result in your SNRM not showing the true figure or capability.. and its one of the reasons why I dont ask for SNRM figures in my max speed calculator as this could skew the result.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

keithiopia

• Just arrived
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2009, 12:04:52 AM »

ADSL2+ is on the cards if I switch to o2 or similar, hopefully that would be a bit more promising.
Would that EMI be aggravated by the ringer wire?

I did a Namesco speed test 5 minutes ago because I couldn't get iplayer to run smoothly (as per usual) clocked in at 570kbps down and 379 up.

I thought I'd check out the line stats when plugged into the test jack, as you might have been able to see in that photo. They change very little apart from the upstream noise ratio which increases by about 5dB. Doesn't seem removing the ringer wire for that does it?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2009, 12:50:40 AM »

Changes in upstream are normally down to internal wiring as the culprit. 

If the downstream doesnt change - then as you say not your internal wiring for that part.

As to if its worth it or not... depends on whom youre going to... 
If its Be and youre considering Be Pro and Annex_M (up to 2.5Mb upstream) you may need it.
-----
Pages: 1 [2]

anything