Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ISP recommendations  (Read 3201 times)

warwickiel

• Just arrived
ISP recommendations
« on: April 20, 2007, 12:52:30 PM »

Hi Kitz,

congratulations for your website. It's really full of useful info.

I have a query about the best broadband deal. My post code is W2 3DH and originally I decided to go with NTL/Virgin, but when I called they told me that they do not provide that service in that area.

Do you, or anyonelse, have any suggestions about the best deal speed/price, considered that:
-I use internet just to surf and not to download music or movies (just sometimes I watch youtube)
-I use programs such as VoipCheap and Skype in peak hours(do they heavily impact on the Fair Usage Policy?)
-I do not have a BT landline
-I need to have it installed ASAP
-I do not find surprises in the monthly bill as a result of having exceeded some download limit or else

Many thanks to whoever may help me and apologies if what I asked may swound obvious or stupid, but I am a total crap when it comes to technology, and I get lost among all the info available

« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 03:12:51 PM by roseway »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: ISP recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 03:27:33 PM »

Hi warwickiel, welcome to the forum.

I've taken the liberty of splitting your question into a separate topic to keep things tidy.

If you don't have a BT landline then your options are cable, wireless or mobile phone (or possibly satellite). There's no cable in your area, and satellite is expensive and clunky. Wireless might be a possibility, but with a quick search I can't find a wireless network serving your area. I know nothing about mobile phone access but I guess it's expensive.

In reality your best option is to get a BT landline, unless someone else has a better idea.

Eric

Eric

warwickiel

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 04:17:40 PM »

Hi Eric,

thank you for welcoming me and for your prompt reply.

Do you know and how much does it cost and how long it takes to get a BT landline?

Besides, considered the use that I intend to make of internet, do you also suggest to take a BT broadband package?

Since I am letting the flat, and I may leave in 6 months, is it possible to "transfer" the broadband supply to another address? or getting a package that allows me to stop the contract anytime (which one???)?

Many thanks again to whoever has tips/thoughts/suggestions on the above issues

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 04:52:50 PM »

I'm not going to be able to give you a lot of comfort unfortunately. You're in London, so it shouldn't take long to get a BT line installed, but you'll have to pay the full installation charge and pay the monthly rental. Several ISPs will give you a monthly contract, but you'll have to pay the ADSL installation charge upfront. However, there are some ISPs which will transfer your account to a different address when you move, so one of these might be your best option.

For a wealth of information on selecting an ISP, have a look at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/  I'm afraid that whatever you do it's not going to be cheap :(

Eric
  Eric