Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Vodafone and O2 plan to pool (mobile) networks  (Read 2007 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Vodafone and O2 plan to pool (mobile) networks
« on: March 12, 2009, 10:55:19 AM »

Vodafone and O2 plan to pool their networks in the biggest shake-up of the UK's mobile phone industry since the introduction of wireless broadband services at the start of the decade, the Guardian has learned.

Vodafone's existing partner, Orange, meanwhile, plans to ask T-Mobile and 3 for permission to join their network sharing venture in a widespread reorganisation that could leave the UK with its five biggest mobile phone operators using just two networks.

All five companies will continue to compete under their own brand names, but putting together their networks will allow them to push mobile broadband into more rural areas and should allow them to reduce the 51,000 base stations dotted across the country by eliminating duplication.

The move will reduce costs which should lead to cheaper calls and internet services, but consumer groups are likely to be wary about a possible reduction in competition.

More info from the Guardian

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

camallison

• Kitizen
Re: Vodafone and O2 plan to pool (mobile) networks
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 11:46:37 AM »

Long overdue, and only held back by testosterone-charged posturing methinks.  Some European countries make it a planning mandate that all co-sharing possibilities have to be exhausted before planning consent is granted for a new mast.  If they didn't have to have their own precious infrastructure, then costs would be considerably lower ......... and mobile charges to you and me would be lower.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: Vodafone and O2 plan to pool (mobile) networks
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 02:41:50 PM »

then costs would be considerably lower ......... and mobile charges to you and me would be lower.

That all depends on, "IF" and depending on how much of the saving actually gets passed on to their customers.
And probably for the average user will hardly be noticeable.