Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: I lose my connection but BBci player keeps going !!  (Read 6315 times)

scottiesmum

I lose my connection but BBci player keeps going !!
« on: March 01, 2009, 12:39:59 PM »

On one or two occasions I have lost my Internet connection, I get a pop up box saying 'you have disconnected ' (or words to that effect  ;D )  for no obvious reason !   At the moment I am working on the computer and have the BBci player on the  'listen again' function;   I suddenly lost the connection a few moments ago but the radio programme continued without a splutter   :'(  I then proceeded to reconnect, which I did and here I am   ... can anyone explain  how can that happen  please ??   :) 

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: I lose my connection but BBci player keeps going !!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 12:48:13 PM »

Everything you see or hear on your PC is actually on your PC.

It has been downloaded, and is now stored and being played from within your temp folder.

So because it's there it will carry on playing until it stops.

scottiesmum

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 12:54:30 PM »

Well !  I never knew that   !!!   (bet that surprises everyone   ::) :D)  Thank you OF for such a prompt reply  ! :)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 01:06:22 PM »

Have you ever noticed on the time-line bar when watching a movie clip, part of it is a lighter colour than the rest of it, or it freezes for a second.
The lighter part is how much it has actually downloaded.

That's because it has not downloaded quick enough for you to watch it with out it freezing, (it froze basically because you did not yet have that part available on your PC)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 05:07:03 PM »

Whilst OF has probably hit the nail on the head for your solution..  I just thought I'd mention something else.

There is also something else that could be affecting it... and thats the maximum no of IP connections.

A modem/router can only connect x no of TCP/IP sessions at the same time..  and if you reach this limit some of the older connections will be dropped.  I used to experience this problem on my first router..  I could be happily browsing then it would say drop ICQ or MSN and I'd get a 'disconnected' message.

Certain applications can use many connections at once .. p2p type streaming often opens many different connections at the same time.

Its quite surprising how many connections you can have open without you even knowing it...  out of interest Ive just done a 'netstat' from the command prompt and on the face of it it may look like Ive only got a couple of firefox windows open..  but I'm actually using 67 TCP ports.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

scottiesmum

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 05:25:32 PM »

Have you ever noticed on the time-line bar when watching a movie clip, part of it is a lighter colour than the rest of it, or it freezes for a second.
The lighter part is how much it has actually downloaded.

That's because it has not downloaded quick enough for you to watch it with out it freezing, (it froze basically because you did not yet have that part available on your PC)

OF,  No, sorry,  I haven't actually,  because I don't watch films on here; mainly use the radio facility when I'm 'twiddling'  on something.   :)

Kitz, Thanks for that too,     I have Antivir Task Manager running and every now and again I click onto that to see what's going on, not that I pretend to understand most of it  ::)   but it does indicate that there's a lot going on that I didn't know about  :)

anything