Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: target snr dropping?  (Read 3545 times)

jeffbb

• Kitizen
target snr dropping?
« on: February 27, 2009, 09:35:32 PM »

Hi

I have had a target SNR of 15 . Using routestats to tweak have generally been running with SNR < 12 dropping to a low of 7.9 and a high of 13. Synch speed has generally been in the 5800Kbps . When the SNR was High I did use the tweak to try and improve the synch speed with some success. I managed to synch at 6500Kbps+ snr about 11 at highest . After running the router for 4 weeks I rebooted hoping the target had dropped  but NO . got  lower results of 5900 even tweaking . . Then today 5 days after reboot when I switched PC on this evening  I have got a synch of 7168 and an SNR of 7.8 . looks as if The target has gone down. :) see summary below .The BITS/tones Graph shows that more BITS have been loaded right across the whole spectrum. BTW the "total up time reported " never indicates > 1 day +hours minutes etc.

I Thought you had to resynch to negotiate a new target SNR  . From the stats I don't see a resynch having been done ?

Regards Jeff 

[attachment deleted by admin]
zen user

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: target snr dropping?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 05:31:09 AM »

>> I Thought you had to resynch to negotiate a new target SNR  .

Thats the theory - particularly for it to be able to perform a new bit allocation table.

>> From the stats I don't see a resynch having been done ?

It wouldnt be the first time that Ive seen mention of similar.  I'm afraid I dont have an answer and dont know how it can be done without SRA.
If you now have a higher sync speed then it must have resync'd...  I think someone mentioned on this forum? a while back that maybe it performs so because its from the dslam that the router doesnt quite acknowledge it.   The router can hold the line during a very brief period eg an LoS (loss of signal - not loss of sync).  I really dont know sorry.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 10:22:58 AM »

Hi
You are an early bird  :) Thanks for the reply . The more I learn about ADSL the less I know  :lol:
Anyway at least the target is on the way down with higher synch speed  :).It won't do me any good with the dreaded T word :(

Have a good day hope things are better for you .

Jeff
zen user

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 12:54:50 PM »

>> You are an early bird

Mad busy atm so I fit in what time I can when I can  :D  Still doing 'the night shift' with Chas, so sometimes if Ive got up to sort him and Im wide awake, I'll look at the forums.   One day last week I was so wide away after the 4am 'shift' I went out to the 24/7 Adsa and did my shopping at 5am.  It was lovely and quiet... no queues and the staff seemed so much friendlier and helpful :)

>> at least the target is on the way down with higher synch speed

:)

>> the more I learn about ADSL the less I know

lol - I know that feeling.   :lol:

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 01:06:41 PM »

Hope Chas is getting better
zen user

anything