Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Plusnet offers the cheapest IPStream product and does a U-Turn on Unlimited.  (Read 4945 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk

Plusnet offers the cheapest IPStream product and does a U-Turn on Unlimited.

One of the first ISPs to openly admit they use Ellacoya's to manage their traffic and say theres no such thing as "Unlimited" Broadband have done a U-Turn.
Plusnet have today announced a new product set offering the cheapest IPStream adsl connection and surprisingly have also offered an "Unlimited" product with no FUP or Cap!

Prices have been reduced for those users on a market 3 exchanges which have now become de-regulated from OFCOM and allows the ISP to negotiate a price with BT Wholesale in order to be able to compete with LLU providers.  Unfortunately there is little benefit for those users stuck on Market 1 or Market 2 exchanges.

Re "Unlimited" - They apparently say there is no FUP there is no cap and instead traffic will be managed according to certain protocols at certain times, with no specific shaping during offpeak hours.  Its taken Plusnet many years to tune their ellacoyas and they reakon they have the balance right, so that they are able to offer a product that allows this.

In the product set there is also one other cheaper product with a 10GB limit.
The PRO product remains basically the same as previous with a 15Gb CAP with no shaping and off peak usage not counting toward the CAP for £19.99

Internet service provider Plusnet  today unveiled Plusnet Value, the UK's cheapest broadband. For £5.99 a month Plusnet Value* customers will get up to 8Mb speeds, an inclusive wireless router, 24/7 award winning support and a monthly usage allowance of up to 10Gb - with no connection charge.

At the same time, Plusnet is also launching Plusnet Unlimited**.  From £11.99 a month customers will get all the benefits included in Plusnet Value but with Unlimited usage on top.

The company also come top in nine out of eleven categories in the uSwitch broadband customer satisfaction survey, including Best Overall Customer Satisfaction and Best Technical support.

*Plusnet Value
* £5.99 a month to 80% of the UK broadband market
* For customers not in these geographic areas the Plusnet Value will be £5.99 a month for 3 months and then £11.99
* Wireless router included
* Free set-up
* Up to 8Mb speeds
* 10Gb usage allowance
* 18 month contract applies

**Plusnet Unlimited
* £11.99 a month for 3 months then £15.99 a month  to 80% of the UK
broadband market
* For customers not in these geographic areas the Plusnet Value will be £11.99 a month for 3 months and then £19.99
* Wireless router included
* Free set-up
* Up to 8Mb speeds
* Unlimited usage allowance
* 18 month contract applies

Full details of the shaping on all products can be seen on the Traffic Shaping comparison tool

You can find out which type of market exchange you are on by putting your details in the adsl line checker
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 06:34:19 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen

I do have some more comments to make about this...  but Im off to get my head down for a few hours first.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen

I have just been looking at the new Plusnet prices and the one that would suit me is the Plusnet Value (up to 8mb,10GB limit,line rental and anytime calls included) All this for £20.74 a month.
The one thing I notice is after 3 months the price depends on location.How do I know if I'm in the right location to keep getting this price.
My exchange is Attercliffe, Sheffield.

Edit,it looks as though I'm in the market 3 area.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen

How do I know if I'm in the right location to keep getting this price.

Check your exchange.
-----

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen

Thanks Kitz,just checked and yes I'm in Market 3,is there anything else I need to look for.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen

Check out the shaping on the package - if you dont p2p etc then you should be fine.

About the only other thing i can think of is the 18m contract :(
-----

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen

Thanks Kitz,no I don't do any p2p at all.Like yousay the only downside is the 18 month contract.10GB is more than enough for me,just general surfing,emails and the odd music download.  :)

grumpy old man

• Kitizen

I am helping a friend chose a broadband supplier.  Have been with Plusnet for a number years with no complaints.

The new deal of £5.99/month seems good to me, I wonder if I can change my £14.99 contract to this lower level.  However I digress, have checked exchange and its market 1, is that ok for this deal?

Whilst I have no complaints about plusnet they are as bad as all other ISP's on download speeds.  Having just checked out the deal above, plusnet web site is suggesting download speeds of up to 7mb, for my exchange which will be the same as my friend.  This is nonsense, I have never got above 4.8mb and recently it has been considerably lower, although tonight is not too bad around 3.8.  Why can they get away with giving out this misleading information.  Presumably they test at 03.00 in the morning when nobody is on line!

gom

stevie

• Reg Member

I am helping a friend chose a broadband supplier.  Have been with Plusnet for a number years with no complaints.

The new deal of £5.99/month seems good to me, I wonder if I can change my £14.99 contract to this lower level.  However I digress, have checked exchange and its market 1, is that ok for this deal?

Whilst I have no complaints about plusnet they are as bad as all other ISP's on download speeds.  Having just checked out the deal above, plusnet web site is suggesting download speeds of up to 7mb, for my exchange which will be the same as my friend.  This is nonsense, I have never got above 4.8mb and recently it has been considerably lower, although tonight is not too bad around 3.8.  Why can they get away with giving out this misleading information.  Presumably they test at 03.00 in the morning when nobody is on line!

gom

** - Plusnet Value broadband starts at £5.99 a month for the first 3 months. If you live in one of our low cost areas you'll then pay this price every month. If you live outside of one of these areas you'll then pay £11.99 a month thereafter.

You`ll need to be in a Market 3 area or ** above applies, plus its an 18 month contract which others believe will apply to those changing packages, long time to be tied to an ISP.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen

Hi GOM

Yes you can change if you like - but just be warned that because you are on a Market 1 exchange then the price will increase to £11.99 after 3 months...  and also that you will be subject to a new 18 month contract.

Some of us are fighting hard to get PN to drop the 18m contract for existing customers.  If you disagree with the long contract term for existing customers then let Plusnet know via PUG or via their community forums.

I have never got above 4.8mb and recently it has been considerably lower, although tonight is not too bad around 3.8.

IIRC that is more to do with the condition of your actual line rather than the ISP, who has no control over what speed you connect to the exchange at.
If you'd like to post your linestats in the adsl section then we'd be more than happy to look at them to see if we can help identify where the problem on your line may be.
-----