Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: AOL - not providing 2meg but say they are  (Read 9138 times)

splatty g

• Just arrived
AOL - not providing 2meg but say they are
« on: March 27, 2007, 09:43:59 PM »

basically i am on aol silver package paying £14.99 a month which used to be for 1 meg speed but has been upgraded to 2 meg (although i didnt have a clue as no one told me) today i called them up and turns out i am already on a 2 meg account according to them, but i only seem to be getting 1 meg speeds

that is my speedtest results which seem to hit 1meg dead on the mark, i must admit i am no expert so i may be wrong but from what i know i gather this is 1 meg speeds,

my wireless router is a Netgear DG834G

if any one can help or give me suggestions on what to do it would be greatly appreciated, and sorry if this has been posted before i have had a brief look on the site and could not find a problem the same as mine but if there is could someone give me a nudge in the right direction

thanks
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 01:24:38 PM by kitz »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: aol not providing 2meg but say they are
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 10:41:34 PM »

Hi and welcome to the forums :)

First of all what speed is your router syncing (connecting) to the exchange at?
You should be able to get this figure from your modem/router and it will be something like 2272kbps for example.

Secondly see if you can perform this test and let us know the results.
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btwperformancetest.htm
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

splatty g

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 11:00:24 PM »

ok to find my syncing number i may have gotten it wrong but is it the number circled below

and here are the results of that test

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 03:48:20 AM by kitz »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 12:26:16 AM »

Thanks for those.

You are indeed on a 2Mb account (at the exchange) and BTw have performed your upgrade for you.

The 2nd test isnt 100% conclusive, but that would indicate to me that AOL havent adjusted their end of things, and you are still being throttled on the AOL network to 1Mb speeds.
Therefore AOL need to adjust your profile on their records.

You can check for sure by performing a test on the bt speedtest domain and if you get higher speeds on there - then you know for sure that AOL are throttling you back to 1Mb speeds.

If you can perform the following test - (you must ensure that you log on to the speedtest domain).

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btwspeedtest.htm

Please let us know how you get on with that test, and we can advise you accordingly :)

------------

You will then have concrete proof to go back to AOL with and say that although they may have requested your upgrade and that BT have done the work - the results of the tests you have so far prove that AOL havent adjusted things their end.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

splatty g

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 01:12:53 AM »

hehe had a bit of difficulty at first wouldnt work using the 217.32.105.42 url but did work using the 217.35.209.142 one, so hope that was right  :-X

by the looks of things (not that i know anything about this subject) bt has opened the line up for 2 meg but aol itself is throttleing back my speed to one meg, the problem being what can i say to them to make them realise its their fault, as i dont know how to explain all this to them ect ect

cos earlier when i called aol before i knew all this, i did ask if everything was good on their end, and they sed yes. I was even stern in asking, and they implied i was the fool and need to contact BT  ???

but my little analysis there could be completely wrong lol so correct me if need be

oh and by the way i found your site via some posts you made on another forum (sorry can't remember which) and you really are a top bloke for helping people and actually giving them your time instead of being a cyber dick who laughs at people for not knowing as much, just thought you deserved a pat on the back for that

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 03:50:44 AM by kitz »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: AOL not providing 2meg but say they are
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 03:57:11 AM »

>> by the looks of things (not that i know anything about this subject) bt has opened the line up for 2 meg but AOL itself is throttleing back my speed to one meg,

Yep indeed.

>> the problem being what can i say to them to make them realise its their fault, as i dont know how to explain all this to them

Something along the lines of.

"I have recently been advised by you that my line has been upgraded to 2Mb, but unfortunately the work for the upgrade doesn't appear to have been fully completed by yourselves.

I can confirm that my line is connected to the exchange at 2Mb, since my router is syncing at 2272/288 kbps. This indicates that BT Wholesale have completed the necessary work to upgrade my line to a fixed 2Mb connection.

Unfortunately though, my speeds are still being throttled back to 1Mb by yourselves (AOL).  All speedtests confirm that I am still getting 1Mb speeds in the region of 900 kbps and whilst connected via my AOL login I cannot get anything higher than 997kbps.

However, when I log out of the AOL realm and into the BT Wholesale speedtest domain to perform a test, then throughput speeds of around 1925 kbps can be achieved.

The fact that I can get 2Mb speeds when connected to the BTw speedtest realm is conclusive proof that it is AOL that is limiting speeds on your network back to 1Mb.

Therefore please arrange to change the settings at your end to complete the upgrade and remove the 1Mb limitation that is currently set by AOL."

>> I was even stern in asking, and they implied i was the fool and need to contact BT

BTw wont speak to the customer about this - AOL is your ISP and it is up to them to sort it out.

>>  you really are a top bloke for helping people and actually giving them your time instead of being a cyber dick.....

Thanks for your kind comments.
Although I'd also like to take the opportunity to mention my thanks to some of the "guys" who also help out around here too and help keep these forums ticking over too. :)
...  and also thank you for the laugh which you gave me at your comment

PS
I removed a couple of your images and replaced them with some that edited out details of your phone line.  You might also wish to remove the originals from imageshack.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 04:00:26 AM by kitz »
-----

havelock

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 11:42:47 AM »

* havelock adds nomination for Kitz to have an Honourary "Bloke" title

All in favour say Aye?  ;D

Havelock

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 12:19:13 PM »

:D

I'll second that.

Eric
  Eric

splatty g

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 02:10:37 PM »

aol have just told me the speed i am currently getting is the fastest speed i can recieve off them, are they correct are is this just them trying to palm me off

-------------------------------------

update: ok having been on the phone to them for nearly two hours and being transferred 5 times each time explaining my problem from the begining they have now said they have put an order to upgrade my line to 2 meg which should take 7 days so fingers crossed  ???
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 02:24:53 PM by splatty g »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 02:39:58 PM »

aol have just told me the speed i am currently getting is the fastest speed i can recieve off them, are they correct are is this just them trying to palm me off

-------------------------------------

update: ok having been on the phone to them for nearly two hours and being transferred 5 times each time explaining my problem from the begining they have now said they have put an order to upgrade my line to 2 meg which should take 7 days so fingers crossed  ???

ooooooooooh dear... You already have a 2Mb line -  they dont need to submit an order.  :no:

They need to change their settings at their end to give you the 2Mb speeds. 
The last test you did confirms without a doubt that the problem is with AOL :/

If youre really stuck you could try pointing AOL support to read this particular thread.

---------------

(Ive have a funny story to tell about AOL support sometime which involved me trying to help someone else on AOL with a similar problem to yours - hence me suggesting pointing AOL support to this thread ;) )
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 02:42:06 PM »

>> * havelock adds nomination for Kitz to have an Honourary "Bloke" title

Thanks guys - but I aint cutting my hair :)
-----

splatty g

• Just arrived
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 02:56:43 PM »

oh crap lol just got the joke, very sorry about the mix up i was a bit of a pratt and assumed you were a bloke lol  ???

boy dont i feel sheepish now

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 03:04:33 PM »

nps splatty - dont worry about it - after being online for nearly 10 years,  I lost count long ago of the number of times that people have assumed Im male.   :D
-----

splatty g

• Just arrived
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 03:46:03 PM »

well then ive got no where lol and no one seems to be able to help, one geezer was adament i was getting perfect speeds for my connection and it was becoming a heated conversation, so im at a loss now i dont know how else to explain to them that its there end thats not set up right

Jameseh

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 03:50:22 PM »

Have you tried using their online support system?  Not sure if AOL use email or an alternate solution.

It's probably easier to put the information across online rather than getting thrown off track by heated conversations (this often happens to me when people start getting uber arsey).
Pages: [1] 2

anything