Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: What does this mean?  (Read 4300 times)

nicpy

What does this mean?
« on: February 09, 2009, 07:44:47 AM »

"I have raised the case to out capacity team to check for backend network connection but as yet no issue has been discovered."

This was the latest response I have received in a long running saga with Tiscali over very poor peak time speeds, and basically................can someone help me understand this?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: What does this mean?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 09:23:07 AM »

I think it means "Go away and stop bothering us. We're not going to do anything about your problem." >:(
  Eric

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 11:59:27 AM »

Hi
Welcome to the Tiscali let down club  :(. The only way out is to leave asap contract permitting .The odds of getting help  from them are less than winning the lottery 3 times running .

not bad for a 8 MAX connection with a connection speed of 6Mbps   >:(

Regards Jeff

zen user

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 12:47:53 PM »

That sounds like the typical response when you are experiencing congestion on the tiscali network.

We've had several Tiscali users on this forum using their datastream or ipstream type accounts who have seen similar and speeds are typically down to as low as 400kbps during peak time periods.

Tiscali wont say it directly.. and anyone who dares to bring up the subject on their own forums either gets their posts deleted or gets banned. :no:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 01:34:37 PM »

-Takes off his Zen hate-

What it sounds like is that it seems they are either packet shaping or they have run out of pipe bandwidth and its full. So you bsically get contended.
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 02:17:03 PM »

>> What it sounds like is that it seems they are either packet shaping or they have run out of pipe bandwidth and its full.

Both.  Certain protocols are shaped and p2p/nntp are down to practically zero during peak.  Ive even seen some reports of even news (non-binary text) nntp being blocked.  Best was they included their own newsgroup in there!  :-X

Take away the p2p/nntp and even http is seeing slow-downs.  IPStream http is even down to around 400kbps many nights due to their centrals being under heavy load.  There reps are aware of it - they just wont admit it.
Many datastream VPs are also seriously suffering from congestion too.  LLU is about the only service that is seeing some sort of decent hhtp, but Ive noticed a few reports of late that this is now beginning to suffer too.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 02:28:04 PM »

The number of times an end user has told me "My service provider said.............."

and I find myself replying either with "they said what ?" ??? or "they said what !" :o

And the number of times "They said there IS a fault on the line" Funny the job notes from the isp state LTOK (line test OK) :baby:

stevie

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 02:52:14 PM »

Best one I heard from a Guy at a place I visit was....

All calls on their Tech helpline (AKA Customer Dis-service line).

Him " My internet doesn`t work".

Them after the basic stuff "Ahh its because you`ve only got 512Mb of Ram & need to check for a virus"

Him "OK".

Off He trots to PCWorld for a Health Check & a Ram upgrade....£60+ lighter.

He returns home & Lo & behold....No Internet.

3 weeks later & much lighter in £`s from the phone calls, His internet is working.

He`d been moved to T`s own LLU network...LOL

He`s very happy with them though.

I did suggest the Dr`s was cheaper than the Health check when he mentioned the problem & did tell him what was wrong, but he didn`t believe me...Maybe I need a little hut on a pier & do fortune telling... LOL

anything