Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Backing up files to DVD  (Read 12349 times)

pafletch2001

• Just arrived
Backing up files to DVD
« on: September 14, 2009, 07:32:06 AM »

I have Vista Home  Edition and have always backed up files to DVD-RW disks.  Recently when I try to do this the file appears on the DVD in pale form with a downward pointing arrow. When I open the file, the pics/documents seem also to appear in pale form under  a heading saying "Files ready to be written to disk". Also when I next switch on my laptop I get a bubble box and an icon telling me that there are files ready to be written to disk and  to click on the icon.The files I have previously tried to transfer are waiting there. I am not sure what is happening or how to handle these two situations, on the pc and on the disk.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Paul
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 06:47:14 PM by pafletch2001 »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Backing up files to DVD
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 08:15:34 AM »

Good morning, and welcome to the forums.

It would seem that your files are not being written to the disc for some reason.

What program are you using ?

ps you should remove your email addy from view unless you want some nasty netcrawler to pick it up and spam you.  :)

BritBrat

• Kitizen
Re: Backing up files to DVD
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 08:42:51 AM »

ps you should remove your email addy from view unless you want some nasty netcrawler to pick it up and spam you.  :)

I agree or at least edit it, I have someone who used to do the same sort of thing but only shortcuts got saved to disc so when he came to retrieve the info it was not there.

Use a dedicated program to back up any data like imgburn it is free and also very good.

ImgBurn is a lightweight CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application that everyone should have in their toolkit!

It has several 'Modes', each one for performing a different task:

Read - Read a disc to an image file
Build - Create an image file from files on your computer or network - or you can write the files directly to a disc
Write - Write an image file to a disc
Verify - Check a disc is 100% readable. Optionally, you can also have ImgBurn compare it against a given image file to ensure the actual data is correct
Discovery - Put your drive / media to the test! Used in combination with DVDInfoPro, you can check the quality of the burns your drive is producing
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 08:47:18 AM by BritBrat »

anything