Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: UKonline  (Read 3684 times)

evs

• http:\\www.disqworld.net
UKonline
« on: March 20, 2007, 10:03:35 PM »

Hi all I have just told Pipex I want a seven day cease put on my account and on the 27th of March I am free at last..
So I was thinking of going with UKonline who say they can give me 6MB on there LLU when BTw say they could only give me 2.5 even though the pipex muppets only gave me a crappy 1.5 on max package ever since I complained due to drop outs on my previous 4.1 line..

Anyway Is it possible for a LLU to give faster speeds than BTw and is a lower contention of 33.1 better than BTw 50.1..  Any advice would be great..  UKonline look good but Im a heavey user so not to sure if they will be any good for me unless they alow heavey usage anytime other than 6pm till12 ???

Also with me going onto a LLU will it start the training of my line again as my line with pipex/bt is stuck at 1.5 and no matter how many times I asked them to reset my profile it just stoped there I think it is somthing to do with the snr margin being tamperd with..I hope moving onto a local loop will solve all this :-\
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 10:21:44 PM by evs »

havelock

• Reg Member
Re: UKonline
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 10:20:36 PM »

Hi Evs,

Yeah it's possible - it's one of the ways Be can squeeze (Up To) 24Mb down the same copper pair that BT will only supply 8 over. Just watch out for the wording "Up To 6Mb*"

And yes, a contention ratio of 33-1 is better than 50-1, which is possible as they are proving your access over the LLU providers own equipment as opposed to BT's kit.

All I can say is shop around, before you buy, and send your queries via e-mail asking if they use traffic shaping or throttling and what limits of the Fair Useage policy are (Even "unlimited" packages generally have a clause here) this way you'll have the answer in writing and if if they do then you can probably get out of your contract as you'd have been mis advised (mis-sold) the product.

Rgds

Havelock

evs

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 10:30:44 PM »

Yea I was looking into there FUP and it is not clear at all very washy.  It say UNLIMITED but only unlimited to what they class as hame usage but they dont want to put a figure on what they class as home use as they dont want to cap people.             

What the hell is all that about they are saying it is unlimited but dont use to much or we will managed your bandwith.  But they dont tell you what to much is :o

The wording of the 6MB is

you will recieve download speeds of approximatley 6MB or Slightly higher or Slightley lower depending on line length and quality so hopfully that should be 5MB min which I will be chuffed with..

Will a LLU restart the training line thingy again.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 09:57:32 AM »

There is no "line training" as such, on LLU. It's a BT specific thing, known as DLM (Dynamic Line Management) which in theory, ups your SNR if you have an unstable line. In practice, it doesn't really account for one-off blips, and there doesn't seem to be a clear path for ISPs to get it reset.

As far as I'm aware (and I haven't been keeping up to date with LLU goings on recently, so I might be wrong), no LLU operators use any form of kit like this, so your target SNR margin will stay at whatever it is initially set at, unless you have problems, then it can be altered manually by their support staff.
Chris

evs

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 09:08:06 PM »

chris that sound like the problem I had with pipex they put me on bt kit and when I complained about drop outs they did some work at the exchange and no matter ehat happens I connect at 1.5 instead of the 4.1 I used to get after looking at the snr it is always at 15db and they wont change it .  this is the reason am off to ukonline LLU hopfully this will take care of it looking at what you have said it ssem as if it will as they keep the snr to a set level I just hope it is a different levell than BTw had it set.