Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Stats on a bipac 5200  (Read 6399 times)

dizzy4528

Stats on a bipac 5200
« on: January 28, 2009, 10:23:32 PM »

Quick question guys i have been trying out a bipac router  5200R4 but  the stats info seems pretty basic .
Do i have to telnet into  the router to obtain the stats and what is the CMD line to bring them up.
By the way after a few days of trying to solve a fault on the adsl by way of a fall in SNR when i pick up the phone .
 I tried the bipac and found that my SNR had gone back up to 15db, (after a forced reduction on a DG834Gt with DGTeam firmware to 9bd)
But my connection sync had fallen to only 1632kbps  from 1856kbps ,if i had tried 15db on the Netgear, then on my  long line the max sync
would be well below the 1000kbps mark.
Could any body care to explain this ?. :shrug2: :shrug2:
New Bipac stats below

Downstream   Upstream   

SNR Margin
13.5    15.0   db
Line Attenuation
63.5    31.5
Data Rate
1632    448    kbps

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Stats on a bipac 5200
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 10:46:07 PM »

There's some information on the 5200 here. When you have made a telnet connection you can find out what commands are available by typing 'help'. Also, if you type part of a command it will tell you what options are available in that command; so for example, if you type 'wan adsl' it will list the various adsl commands. I remember that 'wan adsl perfdata' is one command which gives useful connection data.

When I was using the 5200 I did find on the net the CLI manual for the 5100, which is very similar. If you'd like it I can find a way of sending it to you.
  Eric

dizzy4528

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 06:34:03 AM »

Thanks for the reply , the perfdata command was what i was looking for.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 07:13:22 AM »

yw :)
  Eric

dizzy4528

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 05:17:59 PM »

Hi roseway could i pick your brains on the Bipac . Looking through the telnet data i have found  CMD lines for "targetnoise" and "snroffset"
Do you know if these are a way into lower the SNR margin AKA  DMT tool or DGteam on the Netgear or are the mearly a display of the internal setting of the  router?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 06:47:16 PM »

I spent many hours playing with those commands, and got precisely nowhere. There's an editable file in the router called autoexec.net, and I tried adding targetnoise commands to that, so that they were implemented on a router reboot, but that didn't work either. If you want to have a play, you can edit the file with the command 'sys edit autoexec.net' but do read the help on this before using it, because it's the worst text editor ever invented!
  Eric

dizzy4528

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 07:03:27 PM »

I see what you mean about the editing ,i have tried  various methods of changing the "targetnoise" command and managed to remove all the stats but the downstream margin from the routers GUI, ie no snyc speed or attenuation displayed. will keep playing till i either break it or work it out .  :hmm: :hmm:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 07:15:16 PM »

Have fun :) By the way, I think that the Zyxel 660 Series uses the same chipset and similar firmware, and there's a product called zyxmon which gives you a GUI interface to some of the telnet commands. I tried using it, but it didn't play nicely on my Linux systems, although it sort of worked.
  Eric

dizzy4528

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 07:56:09 PM »

Cheers for the program ,just installed and ran it ,works like a dream . :thumbs:
Still playing with the CLI   and getting nowhere .