Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: second monitor not recognized  (Read 3758 times)

2manycables

• Just arrived
second monitor not recognized
« on: January 23, 2009, 03:57:26 PM »

Hi all,

This is my first post, so please let me know if I'm not in the correct forum.

I've just received a new Dell 2408 WFP monitor (1920x1200), which looks great apart from the fact that I can't get it to work :sigh:

When I turn it on it goes into power save mode and when I select the OSD it says there is no signal coming from my computer. Although when I rebooted after disconnecting the USB cable the start up screen jumped from my lappie to my new screen, but after system was fully loaded everything reverted back to my lappie and new monitor went back into power save mode.

I have it connected to an Advent 7008 laptop (5 years old), which has a SiS 650 video adaptor. It shows a max resolution of 1024x768.

I have tried right-clicking the desktop and looking at properties where I believe it should show 2 displays (is that correct?), but it doesn't. I have previously connected a smaller 2nd monitor to my lappy and it did work.

I am planning to get a new computer, but was hoping that this monitor would work for now. I understand that my video adaptor cannot run this resolution, but I only want to use the monitor for on-line poker and I am interested in more 'real-estate' than the resolution.

Is there anyway to get the monitor to work, or is a new computer my only option?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

2manycables

ps: I connected to my daughter's desktop and it worked fine

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: second monitor not recognized
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 04:14:11 PM »

It sounds as if the Lappy cannot handle the resolution the monitor runs on.

If the res is unsupported I believe Windows hides the monitor the PC cannot display.

Have a read of this:-
http://www.sis.com/support/support_faqs_4.htm#73
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

2manycables

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 04:52:53 PM »

Thanks for the reply jid. It's kind of what I expected, but it seems strange that the monitor can display during startup and not afterwards.

Do you think it's worth me trying to update drivers for my SiS 650? I doubt if this card is capable of running this monitor anyway and besides, I don't know how to update drivers anyway  :-[

Thx for the link btw.

Cheers,

2manycables

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 06:43:21 PM »

it seems strange that the monitor can display during startup and not afterwards.

There's nothing strange about that. During startup a low resolution mode is used, which just about any monitor / graphics card will cope with.
  Eric

2manycables

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 02:50:05 PM »

A quick update:

Noticed on my F4 key there was a picture of a laptop and a desktop computer, pressed FN + F4 and hey presto the 2408wfp sprang into life!  ;D The picture is a bit fuzzy, but's that's to be expected. It will do until I get my new computer though.

BTW, if I continue pressing FN + F4 I get the options:
- Only lappy screen
- Both screens
- Only external screen