Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: IPStream Connect & Entanet  (Read 2905 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
IPStream Connect & Entanet
« on: January 20, 2009, 12:13:04 PM »

Some of you may be aware that Entanet is one of the first UK ISPs to migrate their users over to a new service offered by BT Wholesale called IPStream Connect.

IPSC allows an IPStream ISP to bypass BTw's Colossus network and make their own arrangements to connect at various nodes around the UK.  This reduces the need for (expensive) central pipes at one location, but the ISP must ensure that they have sufficient bandwidth at each of the nodes.

Since Enta started IPSC, many of their users have been complaining of very poor speeds during peak time periods.  There has been much confusion and little information coming from Enta and as such at lot of myths and rumours has been growing about their service.

I have posted elsewhere link & link in an attempt to stop some of the myths about how IPSC and BTW systems work and also wrote to a contact at Enta at the weekend to ask if there was any up to date information on how intended to proceed.

Entanet have now responded in a general release, full post which can be seen here stating that

However, at the point of executing the move, it is not possible for Entanet to know which IPSC interconnect individual users will be connected to, as this information is not available from BT Wholesale. Furthermore, as complete execution of the move relies on users re-authenticating to establish their connection on the new interconnect, it has not been possible for us to estimate the total bandwidth required to serve them. It is not feasible for us to set an artificially high bandwidth level, as doing so commits Entanet to that level with BTW for a minimum 3 month period. Bandwidth usage is therefore being continuously monitored and adjusted as users re-authenticate.

Whilst it is appreciated that Enta could not foresee which customers will connect via each particular node, it does appear that some nodes in particular were very much under estimated by Enta.  Hopefully this will soon be resolved by Enta.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: IPStream Connect & Entanet
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 12:23:34 PM »

As you know, I'm with Entanet, and I seem to be one of the lucky ones unaffected by the capacity problems. Strangely, the Entanet IPSC status information has been unavailable for about 24 hours.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 12:28:10 PM »

I believe it was reporting 'wrong' info - hence why they took it down.
What would be useful is saying how much capacity was on a particular node and at what % it is performing.
Over the weekend when I looked there were quite a lot (most?) nodes that were red.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 11:00:34 AM »

Whilst it is appreciated that Enta could not foresee which customers will connect via each particular node,

Whilst posting something else - it occurred to me that I should perhaps update this thread with some updated information.

Several days ago I was advised it is possible for ISPs to get information from BT which includes mapping between the exchange and IPSC node in order to help the ISP to  predict requirements for each IPSC node.

On checking further this information has always been available in some form or other - some users may recall that customers of some ISPs were given exactly what dates the dslam they were connected to was due to be updated for maxdsl. - Not all dslams at the same exchange were upgraded on the same date. Whilst that information isnt really applicable for IPSC, there is a new dataset specifically for mapping between exchanges and IPSC nodes.

I am aware of one other ISP who has already used this new report in order to predict their own future requirements for IPSC.
-----

anything