Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: SNR margin  (Read 3048 times)

jeffbb

• Kitizen
SNR margin
« on: January 13, 2009, 09:17:03 PM »

HI

I have been running routestats and this is todays trace of the SNR margin. I do not really understand it .I have simmilar plots for the last 3 to 4 days . all show distinct steps  rather than gradual increase or decrease . I cannot mtach the times to anything in the house .I am using a dg834g v4. The max and minimum values correspond to my previous figures I had usind my st330 modem. I have seen other peoples SNR plots but none quite like this . Any Ideas would be much appreciated .

regards Jeff

[attachment deleted by admin]
zen user

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: SNR margin
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 09:53:41 PM »

Possible 'normal' background noise that occurs throughout the day.  My own looks kinda similar on occasions - although on a smaller scale - with what I call a castle effect.  Ive never been able to track it down and I cant tie it up with anything from my own premises. Mine is normally ok after midnight too.

You possibly dont see many graphs like that since its more normal than problematic...  and on the likes of this forum people with problems often see large spikes or decreases/increases at certain times.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 09:59:50 PM »

Hi

Thanks for the quick reassuring reply  :). I have been trying to get familiar with routestats . I was wondering what is the difference between Routstats and DMT   ???

Regards Jeff
zen user

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 10:17:58 PM »

Well, they're really totally different.
Routerstats enables you to log some basic (but very useful) data over time.
DMT does a very detailed analysis of what is happening right now, and allows you to make some changes - some are very useful indeed.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 10:22:45 PM »

For diagnosis both of them have their uses.

Routerstats is best for long term plotting of the SNR Margin to help identify time trends for when problems occur.

DMT tool - if your router supports it - is best for detailed analysis of the condition of your line as it looks at each individual subchannels and you can see any gaps where specific frequency problems may be occurring.

DMT is most often used for SNR tweaking though, whilst routerstats is much easier to plot and read.

---
whoops sorry HP beat me to it. :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 01:23:02 PM »

Hi
Thanks very much for both replies . I think I will stick with routestats so that I can get a feel of the norm for my line . when I have got to grips with that then I will look at DMT so that if a problem arises then I will have historical data .

Regards Jeff
zen user

anything