Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: So my Router decided to play up  (Read 3968 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
So my Router decided to play up
« on: February 23, 2007, 12:45:23 AM »

Hi All.
My Speedtouch 536 v6 Router started to play up last week with the odd disconnection, I thought it was doing a reconnection, because of my long line of 4.76kl I run at about SN Margin (down) of 0.5/1 db (with DMT Tool ) and my router holds on to that but sometimes reboots..
Well these disconnections started to come more often, But when I went to look at my router the DSL was solid ! Then looked at the router logs It was not rebooting!.
Working in electronics for a long time I decided to try an old trick, "HIT IT" . >:D
That proved that I had a faulty router, every time I taped it the Ethernet went off !, checked all the connections they were ok so I disconnected it took the back off and had a look with my hand lens and some of the soldering looked not very good (made on Friday job) .
Got on to ISP and let them know what I was talking about and they are sending me a new one First class.
Touch wood its not gone off since I had a poked about inside it.    ;)

I Hate Dry Joints.

Michael
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
Re: So my Router decided to play up
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 11:14:00 AM »

Speaking of dry joints, and somewhat off-topic, a poster on an unrelated forum, who is a very experienced car diagnostics technician, reckons that the reason most very expensive German cars (you know who they are) cause problems is dry joints.

These vehicles use sophisticated electronic systems for almost all functions.  However it seems that the German workers are not very good at soldering, whereas the Japanese and Koreans do it so much better, as a result the cars give far less electrical trouble.

True or not, I don't know.  Personal experience tends to support the theory.
Some people are like slinkies: they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 12:52:30 PM »

I Hate Dry Joints
Me too, I was glad when prohibition ended.  :drink:  :lol:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 01:00:31 PM »

:D :D :D :D
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 03:54:20 PM »

My new router came today, so I set up my set of private IP's and it connected to my Smoothwall (firewall) strait away .
Did the 'taping' test it passed with flying colours.
Setting some of the other settings on my router, I was puzzled why some of my details were already there ?.How can that be its a new router ?. are they stored at the ISP ?.
As I said before I use the DMT tool, So I configured this to work with the new router , then did a re sync ,  The DSL speed went up from 4406 to 6208 !, I think that's the fastest I have seen .
Just remembered that I have not updated the firmware yet on this new router, It will be interesting to see if I still get 6208 with that new firmware.

RE dry joints.
I think I learn how to solder from my dad, I can always remember him building Radio's, TV's  and record players etc.( good old valves) then I started building a 'Cat's whisker' crystal set, By the time I started work in electrical / electronics, on my first day I remember this chap asking me to build a small circuit on 'vero board' He was gob smacked how good I was at soldering ( just being big headed now )  :)    And he never questioned my work again. I wished I had a pound for every joint I have soldered.   ;)
Michael.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 04:13:13 PM »

> Just remembered that I have not updated the firmware yet on this new router, It will be interesting to see if I still get 6208 with that new firmware.

And if it's not?
Does the upgrade have a restore facility?

Just that I am a great believer in "if it ain't broke" don't fix it.
As you have said, the speed you are now getting is the fastest it's ever been.

(Although I do have to admit, I do like playing and trying to tweak things) but some bits are best left well alone.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 04:14:51 PM by oldfogy »