Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 1mb contract supplied with 2mb connection  (Read 3919 times)

opalspark

• Just arrived
1mb contract supplied with 2mb connection
« on: February 19, 2007, 02:19:56 PM »

Hi,

Excellent site.

I wonder if anyone can confirm what is happening with my connection, and give me the correct terminology.

I have a 1mb contract with my ISP (Tiscali), which for most of the last 6 months has been fine. I live in a village an 1mb is the best I can get.  :(

For the second time by SNR Margin has dropped below 10, and I get poor connection. My router shows a data rate of 2272, it normally shows 1152.

However when I run any speed tests I only get 1mb.

I suspect they are trying to give me a 1mb on 2mb connection speed and capping it in some way. Does it increase their bandwidth by supplying 1mb contracts on 2mb connection rates. ?

Has anyone else noticed this or have I got it all wrong ?

Regards

John

mr_chris

• Kitizen
Re: 1mb contract supplied with 2mb connection
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 02:33:27 PM »

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

It's a very common thing to do, and your suspicions are correct. You are on a 1Mb contract and getting 1Mb speeds because Tiscali are rate-limiting your connection to 1Mb, even though you're connected on 2Mb. The reasons are to do with cost. ISPs have to pay BT wholesale for your broadband connection. They also have to pay BT for any speed regrades e.g. 1Mb to 2Mb etc.

Now you're on a 2Mb connection, Tiscali could upgrade you to 2Mb without involving BT. They probably took advantage of the bulk 2Mb speed upgrades for £5 a time, rather than the normal one-off cost of £11 per time.

However, if you're only paying for 1Mb, and 2Mb is unstable on the line, then theoretically Tiscali should easily be able to request that you be downgraded to a 'real' 1Mb connection. Getting them to accept this and do that, however, might be more than a bit awkward.

Have you followed all the suggestions on the http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm page to see if you can improve your SNR margin, even by a little bit? Doing stuff on there like filtered faceplate, ringwire etc.. might push your SNR up enough that you can quite comfortably cope with the 2Mb line.

Hope this helps :)
Chris

opalspark

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 03:07:43 PM »

Hi,

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

I don't think there is any chance of getting up to 2mb, as well as the general poor connection, my line attenuation is 60.0 I also have a street light problem. My normally low SNR Margin drops by another 2 when the street lights come on. But thanks for the suggestions.

When I transferred to Tiscali they had me on 2mb initially, but after 10 days I persuaded them to drop it to 1mb and everything was fine for 6 months.

It was earlier this month when they moved me to this rate-limited connection, without telling me. Do you have any advice on how I can stop them doing it again. ?

Is there anyway of making sure that BT never try to upgrade the connection to 2mb?

Regards

John

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 03:17:58 PM »

Hi

In that case because you have a history re 2Mb it should be much easier to get tiscali to move you back to 1Mb.

Contact them refering to the previous conversations and stating that you notice that your line has recently been upgraded to 2Mb (confirmed by the 2272 sync) and you are once again having problems maintaining line stability.

Hopefully they should be able to do this bit pretty easily.

You could also ask if they would arrange with BT to mark your line as only suitable for 1Mb - but this may be a little bit harder, since afaik it can only be marked once tested and  confirmed by a BT engineers visit.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 04:21:25 PM »

You could also ask if they would arrange with BT to mark your line as only suitable for 1Mb

Might be a bad idea... since attenuation is 60dB it might backfire on him and they might mark the line as only suitable for 512k, leaving his only choice to be MaxDSL.
Chris