Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: BT to scrap 0870/0845 Charges.  (Read 31445 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: BT to scrap 0870/0845 Charges.
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2009, 04:20:34 PM »

Good point about caller display. You can have it with the P.O. but it costs an extra £1.71 a month.

Thanks for the hint about PN.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2009, 04:37:41 PM »

At the moment I am with BT and have that free evening and weekend call 12 month renewable contract.So I pay £10.27 a month rental by DD with paper free billing.I also get free caller display,1471 and 1571.IMO thats not bad.It states that they will contact you before your 12 months is up and ask you if you want to continue,if you don't reply back they will automatically renew it for another 12 months.
Rental is going up £1,but what guarantee's do you have that others will not follow suit.

Just a quick question,can I still continue with my BT BB if I decided to switch my landline.?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2009, 04:46:17 PM »

>> Just a quick question,can I still continue with my BT BB if I decided to switch my landline.?

Yes, because the line and exchange equipment are still owned and managed by BT Openreach and BT Wholesale. BT Retail is just the retail marketing company, and you would simply be switching to a different marketing company.
  Eric

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2009, 04:50:05 PM »

So, basically what we all seem to be saying is this is not a customer friendly deal at all.

I'm not even a BT customer (for phone or broadband) and they've just written to me to ask if I'd like to come back to BT because of this amazing deal. No thanks.

Side issue for anyone who might know : how do you stop companies like Sky and BT writing to you with these amazing deals ?

I have already registered with the MPS
My name and address is not on the publicly available Electoral Register (and never has been)
I have previously written to both Sky and BT and told them that I am not interested in receiving any marketing mailings from them.  I received a letter back from Sky saying that they had taken steps to remove my name and address from their records - 3 months later another lot arrived. In the case of BT, i received no letter, but a call from the Indian subcontinent telling me that they had done the same around September last year. New year, new load of carp from BT. Incidentally both of these companies keep spouting on about being Carbon Neutral - I don't think so somehow, but I'm trying to do my bit to help them in their attempt.

Any ideas gratefully received

TTFN

toulouse

Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2009, 10:58:11 AM »

I am with BT and have that free evening and weekend call 12 month renewable contract.So I pay £10.27 a month rental by DD with paper free billing.

I'm also on dd and paperfree discounts.

TBH I dont like how BT have introduced some of the things they have done over the past year.

Earlier last year they

• Sneakily withdrew the free evening calls from the £10.50 package - I didnt find out until I had to pay for some calls I'd made :mad:   As a result I had to upgrade to the next package at additional cost making it about £14.50 minus £1.25 for paper free billing.
  • Introduced the rolling annual contracts.  I really dont like rolling annual contracts - its ok to sign up for a year but when youve done your year, you should then be free and not tied again.

and now they are going to
  • Increase costs again
  • Get rid of friends and family which normally saves me a few pennies

It seems to me like they want to get everyone on the Anytime package and rolling contracts. 
Yes I could pay a bit less for a rolling contract but I havent as yet....  and I am so glad I didnt - because I'm now going to vote with my feet and Im off elsewhere.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2009, 11:02:31 AM »

because I'm now going to vote with my feet and Im off elsewhere.

Well our 'rolling' contract expires at the end of May,so I will see whats available then and probably do what your going to do.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2009, 11:04:31 AM »

Just as a warning to anyone looking and comparing price costs - it looks like wholesale prices may also increase.

According to this

Ofcom has reviewed the costs for [Openreach] lines and as a result are proposing an increase in line rental charges.

This hasnt yet come in and could further increase costs for all retail providers.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2009, 11:50:03 AM »

Interesting,I thought that others might follow suit.
Also anyone on the paperless billing,direct debit option will be worse off.

Although some customers can negate this increase by opting for paperless billing and paying by direct debit, the millions of customers who already do this will be worse off."

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2009, 12:05:29 PM »

>> Interesting,I thought that others might follow suit.

That looks like its going to be an enforced increase.   If Wholesale costs go up then all retail costs are obviously going to have to go up too.
How BT retail will handle this I dont know - BTretails costs are going up before the proposed wholesale costs..
So if wholesale costs do also go up.... I suppose that will mean that will give BTretail will likely hike their prices yet again within the next year.
-----

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2009, 02:01:45 PM »

New T&C on the 16 January.

You have to make one chargable call to get free privacy option. i.e. Caller display and that thing you should not even be using the answering machine (1571).

I use Primus Saver option 2 CPS (no monthy charge).

And BT option 1 (The weekend plan)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 02:12:15 PM by BritBrat »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

anything