Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Another BT log - Update after engineer called  (Read 15138 times)

notfes53

Another BT log - Update after engineer called
« on: February 18, 2007, 01:14:56 AM »

:wall: I've been telephoning the BT call centre and have made it though as far as line faults!

Please see the attached log that I've been keeping.

I followed the advice and connected- via a BT supplied filter - to the test socket behind my adsl faceplate splitter which was fitted by BT in 2000 when I first become a BT broadband customer on Home 500. I've never had any extensions at this socket. I don't have any virus or adware problems.

I now seem to be back where I started with a < 500kbps service again - despite being on BT's option 3 (up to 8MB), and having previously enjoyed download speeds between 3000kbps and 3800kbps.

Despite having been connected non-stop since reconnecting via the test socket on Wednesday 14th Feb, my stats appear to show less on-going connection time.

Is any training happening?

Why is my line stuck on an IP profile of 500?

How come my sync rate has been over 3500 this week, but has now seemingly settled at 800?

I've delayed calling back to the BT help desk until I can see three continuous days of connection time in my stats.

Please can anyone advise me what to say to BT, and what to ask for based upon my stats?

Thanks, Steve

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 12:08:16 PM by notfes53 »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Another BT log - please help me to understand
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 08:02:17 AM »

Hi Steve,

The easy question first: your IP profile is 500 because your router is syncing at 800. The more difficult one is to explain the big reduction in sync speed. Possible explanations are:

- a defective filter
- a telephone line fault
- a major source of local interference

If there really are no extensions wired from the master socket then you might as well put the faceplate back and connect to the normal outside socket. Then if you've got a different filter to try this would be an easy check to make.
Do you hear any crackling or other noises on the telephone? If this continues with the router disconnected then report it to BT as a voice fault (phone 150). If it disappears when the router is disconnected then you've probably got a defective filter.
Are you aware of any local sources of interference? Any electrical machine could be causing the problem; exercise treadmills are becoming a bit notorious, for example.

Eric
  Eric

notfes53

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 11:48:32 AM »

Eric,

Thanks for your response and suggestions.

1) First, I'll disconnect my BT Home Hub from the "trailing adsl filter", then afix the BT master socket faceplate and plug in to the front of it - thereby utilising the integrated filter in my BT master socket. I'm assuming that I don't need to use another external mini filter - I'd never had any of these from BT until the BT Home Hub was supplied.

2) AFAIK there are no (new) sources of electrical intereference in the house/vicinity. We know most of our neighbours quite well, but couldn't swear to what appliances they all use! :-[. I think that we are the only family with a treadmill in our road, but it's currently covered with boxes and other garage junk, and definitley not running at the moment!

3) The line sounds clear, It hasn't always sounded as clear as it does now. But this is complicated by the fact that it has a DECT telephone base unit attached, with another two slave DECT units connecting to it wirelessly from other parts of the house, so we've never been quite sure if any previous line noise was internal (DECT-related) or external (BT line-related). This is our secondary phone line which we ambitiously call our business line, as my wife uses it for receiving calls for her Childrens' Party business. I think I might put a divert on to it to her mobile so that calls are re-directed by the BT network, so that we don't have to use these DECT phones at all.

I really am mystified as to why my sync speed has dropped so dramatically. Hopefully it's all to do with my following the call centre advice!

One further point. I used to be on BT BB Option 4. Around September/October of last year we received an email warning us that we were well over the soft cap of 40GB per month (we were close to 100GB). I have two teenagers - one of each - aged 17 and 18. They are into music and films. (I also like to watch some TV shows without adverts - a bit!) Around the same time I also received an email informing me that my service would be migrated to BT Total Broadband Option 3 (uncapped) - their new top package. Within days I also received an email from BT billing me for excess usage over the 40GB cap, in the most recent month. Fortunately, when I explained to BT customer service that I had been confused by their migration email, thinking I was now on unlimited usage, the supervisor to whom the case was referred agreed to waive my only-ever usage charge.

Could it be that my account has been flagged somehow to teach us all a lesson owing to our previous heavy usage. The trouble is that the new slow speed we've been getting has not been selective, i.e. does not just slow down p2p and, in any case, we have not been using bandwidth intensive applications this week. Any thoughts?

Anyway, I'm now going to implement the suggested master socket re-connection,  and will see what happens and then post back the results here.

Thanks for your help., Steve

notfes53

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 12:13:54 PM »

Wow! :D

BT Speedtester:
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  2784 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 452 kbps

Our house is only 85m from the exchange. The exchange is 'Green' on the PlusNet d/b, so I'm still rather disappointed about the downstream performance.  :'(

How does my attenuation and S/N margin look? Considering how close I am to the exchange is there any way that I can get BT to look at my line and check connections etc?

BT Home Hub ADSL stats:
  Uptime: 0 days, 0:01:36
 Modulation: G.992.1 annex A
 Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 2,784
 Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [KB/KB]: 250.00 / 334.00
 Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 15.5
 Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 7.0 / 33.0
 SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 14.0 / 7.0
 Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ALCB
 Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
 Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 7 / 0
 Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
 Loss of Link (Remote): 0
 Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 270 / 0
 FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 54
 CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
 HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

I'll do three more days of monitoring again - at different times to see if my IP profile responds to the big increase in my sync speed now that I've eliminated the micro-filter and gone back to connecting directly to the BT ADSL faceplate. I'm glad that I don't have to brave the helpful people at the BT call centre again today!

I hope that my d/l sync speed might improve too, but am aware that this may well fluctuate

Is there anything else I should be doing/avoiding or looking out for?

I'm hoping that the BT exchange will now automatically ease my line back up to a higher IP profile.

Regards, Steve  

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 12:47:56 PM »

That's truly terrible performance for the attenuation you have. You should be up near the maximum 8 Mbps sync speed. If you're using a filtered faceplate then that's about as good as you can make it, and it suggests that the fault is external. I think it's got to be a line fault, so you don't have much option other than to nag BT. :(

Eric
  Eric

notfes53

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 01:06:43 PM »

Hi Eric,

Well that's interesting. I just didn't know if my adsl line stats were up to much.

By coincidence - when you were posting your reply - BT's offshore call centre called me and made an appointment for a BT engineer to come to my house - A RESULT! ;D

Next Thursday. 22nd Feb

I'll show him my stats, so if you can just prime me with a few specific key things to say, or point out, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks again - this forum has to be one of the most switched on and responsive I've ever used. I shall endeavour to contribute in some area a.s.a.p.

Cheers, Steve

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 01:50:16 PM »

Hi Steve and welcome :)

I'd also expect you to be getting higher speeds for your attenuation -
Eric has already covered the main points regarding this so Ive nothing further to add on those points.

Couple of minor things to clear up.

No it wont have anything to do with your usage - The speed you sync to the exchange at is negiotiated between your router and the dslam at the exchange.  Therefore the problem is somewhere/anywhere between the exchange and in your home.

---

Having had a quick look at the pdf - it seems that you are quite often syncing at 800 and as eric has already said - this is what is limiting your speeds to 500k.
It takes around 3 days of syncing at the higher speeds before your IP profile (and therefore throughput speed) increases.

Although things look okish right now at 2784 (still a bit low), as soon as you get a lower sync speed, your throughput speed is once again going to be limited. :/

You certainly need to point out the frequent 800 syncs to the BT engineer when he comes.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

notfes53

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 05:39:50 PM »

Thanks Kitz :)

I'm looking forward to Thursday - and will keep up the adsl line stats log between now and then.

Plus I'll let everyone know what the BT engineer has to say....

Cheers, Steve

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 11:09:01 PM »

Good luck and please do let us know how it goes :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

notfes53

Re: Another BT log - Update after engineer called
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 01:42:28 PM »

First part of morning spent in eager anticipation of BT engineer call :o
BT Broadband's India call centre had made the appointment, at the weekend, giving me a slot of 8.00 to 10.30 on Wednesday (yesterday), but I asked them to make it Thursday (today) as I thought I'd be out yesterday.

- AT 10.40 today no engineer had arrived. I tried calling BT on 0800 800 151 to see if I could be put through to despatch, however that number only deals with PSTN (public voice network), so no option but to call BT Broadband's offshore call centre. At least I now have an 0800 number to call - 0800 7318578.

- Nice gentleman in call centre then keeps me on the line whilst he makes a call back to the UK - to figure out with UK despatch why my engineer is a no-show. He stayed with me for 35 minutes whilst he himself was held in a queue. He kept me informed all the time and apologised for the delay. Well, at least it was on an 0800 number and I got on with some work.

- After 35 minutes he informs me that the service time slot was correctly booked on BT's system, but that despatch had failed to inform the engineer in the field about my appointment!  

- Within an hour an apologetic engineer turns up from BT Openreach. He explains that his sole responsibility is to test the service at the master socket - using his own ADSL equipment and laptop. Apparently all the engineers were in a meeting this morning and no call slots should have been available on the system.

What sound does a "passing buck" make...?

OK, now we're in business:
I sit the engineer down and show him my ADSL connection log. He asks what type of router I have - "is it the white one?", "Yes", I say, "Oh", he says. There's a pause whilst he looks at some of the service calls in his notebook. He points out one where the same BT Home Hub is involved. Mutters.

Now, for a few days I've at least been syncing at about 3000 to 3500kb/s, but my IP profile has stuck resolutely at 500 - except for one short period within the last 24 hours when the IP profile went up in 2 stages - once to 2000kbps and then briefly to 2500 kbps - with attendant rises in d/l throughput speeds to match.

However in honour of the BT engineer's visit my line has started to sync at 786kb/s, and my IP profile has returned to 500kbps. "Oh", says the BT engineer, that's because it's capped, because there's a fault on the line. Also the S/N Margin is now floating around 16dB.

Er.... What? What's this cap he's talking about? I try to ask him to elucidate, but he changes the subject. As for the S/N Margin he informs me (I assume correctly) that with fixed rate services, the higher the S/N margin the better, but with adslMax, the lower the S/N margin the better - he's looking for around 6dB to be happy.

I show him the log, and explain that my sync speeds (and, even my IP profile speeds) have been much higher, briefly, and "Doesn't that prove that the fault is external to my house?" No, he doesn’t think that the problem is external.

He connects his equipment, and hey presto, it syncs at over 3000kb/s

He connects my BT Home Hub and, conveniently, it is still syncing at 786.

I asked him if my attenuation of 33dB was a bit high for my very close proximity to the BT Exchange. Although My house is 85m to the exchange - as the crow flies, the cables don't take the shortest route - it turns out that, with the detour, there is about 600m of copper and/or aluminium between my master socket and the exchange. He tells me that he's seen much higher attenuation.

He's apparently not permitted to tell me that my service provider's equipment is the guilty link in the chain (i.e. crap) - but, nevertheless, that is my clear inference. Engineer mentions in passing about 5 or 6 BT Home Hubs that he's attended to which 'might' have similar issues - only he's not allowed to say 'officially'. Yes, this is something that I must take up with my service provider - BT Broadband.

As far as BT Openreach's engineer is concerned, my ADSL line has tested out OK at the master socket. This is despite me having a detailed log showing various sync speeds over the last week. So is the variation in sync speed the fault of my router, after all??

Before he leaves the house, and I telephone BT Broadband customer service I do a soft re-start of my BT Home Hub from my browser. It now decides to sync at 2848kbps. Only I'm again left with an IP profile of 500kbps (which is what I think the BT Openreach engineer means when he says my line is capped because I have a fault - i.e. in his opinion, a fault with my router.)

So my throughput d/l speed is now in the 400's again. Message from engineer - not his fault, and it will take time for the BT exchange to respond to my better sync speed.

"How was it for me?"
He leaves - a happy man; I'm left perplexed.  I have that uneasy feeling that you get when you're wondering if you've just been 'had', but you don't know enough to be sure one way or the other.

I suppose that, having made a complaint to BT Broadband about my service, I was not really expecting someone to come round to say his half of the circuit was OK, but my service provider's part probably wasn't, and there was nothing he could do about it.

£27.99 per month and I'm not getting what I'm paying for and no-one is taking the blame yet!!

You have to laugh  :lol:     - and then you cry  :'( 

any recommendations as to where we go next?

Thanks, Steve  

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 03:17:27 PM »

I see you're still having fun then, Steve. :)

However in honour of the BT engineer's visit my line has started to sync at 786kb/s, and my IP profile has returned to 500kbps. "Oh", says the BT engineer, that's because it's capped, because there's a fault on the line. Also the S/N Margin is now floating around 16dB.

Er.... What? What's this cap he's talking about? I try to ask him to elucidate, but he changes the subject. As for the S/N Margin he informs me (I assume correctly) that with fixed rate services, the higher the S/N margin the better, but with adslMax, the lower the S/N margin the better - he's looking for around 6dB to be happy.
There's no cap which will cause the router to sync at a lower speed than it otherwise would. The IP profile is effectively a cap on the throughput, so I suppose that's what he meant. It's a function of the lowest sync speed over the previous three days, so you need to sync consistently at a higher speed for a further three days before the IP profile will go back up.

As far as noise margin is concerned, a higher value is always better as far as stability is concerned. But with Max the speed you get is related to a target noise margin, which is set at 6dB initially - the router will sync at the highest speed it can for that noise margin. If the connection proves to be unstable, then the exchange equipment will increase the target noise margin for better stability, which will have the effect of a lower sync speed. So what the engineer said is sort of right, but he didn't put it very well. The 16 dB-ish noise margin which you got could be the result of this margin increase process, but it could also mean that a transient noise problem on the line caused the router to sync at a low speed, and when the transient problem went away it left the router at a low speed and a high noise margin.

I think the next stage is for you to beg, borrow or steal a different ADSL router and try that. The Home Hub could be the problem, and this would test it for you.

Eric

Eric

notfes53

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 05:15:22 PM »

:clap: Eric - Thanks for the response and support!

It just so happens that BT had sent me two Home Hubs in error. I have a pre-paid bag in which I can return the surplus hub. I've taken your advice and plugged in the spare

Here is my latest set of stats:

DSL Connection

Link Information
IP profile for your line is -  500kbps
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 454 kbps

Uptime:   0 days, 0:20:38
Modulation:   G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   448 / 3,776
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [KB/MB]:   852.00 / 7.19
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   11.5 / 17.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   8.0 / 33.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   15.0 / 7.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):   TMMB / ALCB
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):   0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):   36 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 296,118
CRC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 3,500
HEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 3,194

I'm going to carry on maintaining a log, and sit tight for a few days, hoping that my sync speed stays where it is or improves, and that my IP profile eventually re-sets itself to something much faster.

Keep you posted on progress with my back-up home hub.

Thanks, Steve

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 07:05:13 PM »

Here's hoping it stays that way. :thumbs:

Eric
  Eric

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 08:13:20 PM »

I have also been told on ADSLmax that the lower the SNR margin the better.

Indeed I agree this  is mis-information to the extent that you get a higher sync rate the lower the margin is, but of course as we know this needs a decent margin in the first on top of which is set the target margin (the lower this is, the higher the attainable rate).

I have noticed our Home Hub SNR margin hangs around 9.0dB which I guess is our target margin. We have interleaving, maximum register-able attenuation and presently a maximum downstream on the Home Hub of 1248K.

I have noticed that the older BT Voyager routers, like many routers out there, seem to squeeze a bit more out and could get 1.4meg with 9dB margin. of course, the USB modem goes for gold and produced 1.7meg with only a few dB of margin.

Unfortunately Openreach engineers for the most part aren't completely up to speed on the workings of ADSL or at least have problems explaining these to the customer. However it does seem ADSL is a confusing technology and where you have a perfect voice service your mini hifi system or treadmill can be the spanner in the works.

I can't quite understand how those devices interfere with ADSL? Is it electromagnetic or whatever? Even more odd is how it gets on the line and if it affects the line or the equipment directly. It would be interested to know if RFI filters (such as the BT Block 80 RF3) filters would have any effect.

On a final note I noticed that if the Home hub drops out, it often goes for a far lower rate. I have accidently unplugged the line cord a couple of times and it has come back up at around 448k downstream. This then knocks the IP profile down to 250K for a few days! Whereas if you power off and power on, it normally goes back to a nice higher speed.

Note: I am not overly fussy about my broadband and don't make mountains out of molehills e.i. i wouldn't throw a hissy fit because i can only download at 5000kbps on my 8meg line.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 10:09:48 PM »

Sorry was making a long post this afternoon and my lappy crashed - lost the post and didnt get chance to re-do it till now :(
Since then eric and soms have covered most of it anyhow, but a couple of things I was typing........

I can see where the engineer is coming from with his comments - particulary when he plugs in his kit and gets 3000 and yours is only showing 786.
I do try not to diss certain kit, because the HH does work very well for lots of people, but I have seen several instances where the old frog and voyager 105 USB modems work better on MAX lines than the HH.  So yes the variation could possibly be your HH...  having now seen your later post.. really does makes you wonder if there are good and bad batches of them?

>> if my attenuation of 33dB was a bit high [snip] there is about 600m of copper and/or aluminium between my master socket and the exchange. He tells me that he's seen much higher attenuation.

Very possible, the engineer will obviously know the area, and which areas are problematic due to aluminium on the line. This unfortunately is something of a problem through out various areas in the UK.  BT arent concerned about this as long as the line works due to the huge expense of re-laying new lines. :/

>> that's because it's capped

I too assume he means that restricted due to your IP profile :/

>> As for the S/N Margin he informs me (I assume correctly) that with fixed rate services, the higher the S/N margin the better, but with adslMax, the lower the S/N margin the better - he's looking for around 6dB to be happy.

Its true that with fixed rate services the higher the SNR Margin the better... but the same also applies to Max.  With traditional fixed products lines could become problematic when the SNR Margin dropped below 10dB..  with maxdsl problems tend to start to occur at below 6dB, although there are several routers that can and do hang on below this figure.

Basically 6dB is the typical Target SNR at which your router will try and sync to the exchange at. 

If you want more info theres an explanation of SNR and SNR Margin.

Roseway also made a good post here.
-----
Pages: [1] 2