Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: IS AOL PULLIN MY PUD OR WOT ????  (Read 5379 times)

TonyElyod

• Just arrived
IS AOL PULLIN MY PUD OR WOT ????
« on: February 16, 2007, 01:33:12 AM »

SINCE LAST APRIL I,VE BEEN GETTING AROUND THE 4MB D/L.
 IN JAN SPEED DROPPED TO UNDER 512MB.
AFTER 6 HRS EVENTUALLY GOT THRU TO SOMEONE WHO REGISTERED QUERY WITH BT AND IN THE EVENING SPEED BACK TO AROUND 4MB.....
UNTIL LAST WEEK........NOW THIS IS WHAT I HAVE TO PUT UP WITH

Date 16/02/07 01:06:22
Speed Down 324.59 Kbps ( 0.3 Mbps )
Speed Up 214.05 Kbps ( 0.2 Mbps )
IP Address 172.202.159.90

NETGEAR ROUTER SHOWS

System Up Time 10:03:38
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 276575 452131 0 1546 45635 03:36:07
LAN 10M/100M 734095 450663 0 26294 1237 10:03:36
WLAN 11M/54M/108M 3226 0 0 11 0 10:03:34

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 4032 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 41.0 db 21.5 db
Noise Margin 12.2 db 20.0 db

SPENT ANOTHER DAY ON PHONE.
AOL SAYS MY LINE WILL ONLY ACCEPT 512MB AND WITH ADSL MAX DOES GO UP & DOWN.

CAN ANYONE SHINE A LIITLE LIGHT ON THIS MATTER...AND ADVISE ME ON WHAT TO DO...
IS IT AOL OR BT PROBLEM
THANX IN ADVANCE...
PLEASE EXCUSE CAPS IM PARTIALLY SIGHTED...

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: IS AOL PULLIN MY PUD OR WOT ????
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 02:06:54 AM »

Hi

hmmm Ive come across a couple of cases with AOL recently were customers were supposedly given 4Mb accounts - Then it would perhaps appear they throttled it back to the speeds of the account they were on previously... saying that they werent providing the 4Mb account for another 6 months.
Im not sure if this is whats been happening in your case, so cant say for sure right now, and certainly dont want to mislead you..  but this relates to the Gold accounts that have now been withdrawn.

The best thing would be to check your IP profile, so we can see how BT is rating your line.

Details how to check your IP profile are outlined on my BT performance test.

This test should give you details of your IP profile and your actual throuput speed.
Can you please let us know the results of this test.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Bryn

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 07:02:09 PM »

Hello
Being a novice can you tell me how I use the BTw speedtest to check my line without going through AOL. I have read your instructions but am not sure how I change the dialup username in my voyager 105 modem.

havelock

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 10:35:12 AM »

Open Internet Explorer >> Tools (You may need to tap the ALT key to see this menu if you're on IE7) >> Internet Options >> Connections

Pick your broadband connection from the options >> Settings

Your un/pass will be down near the bottom, record your original username and don't be worried about the number of dots you can see...Windows XP likes putting 16 there as a "Security Feature" or "Bug"

ALTERNATIVELY

Control Panel >> Network Connections (Classic Mode from the Left Panel) >> And you can edit or create a new Broadband connection here.

Havelock

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 02:16:48 PM »

btw Havlock bit of info for you that you may be interested in.

>> Being a novice can you tell me how I use the BTw speedtest to check my line without going through AOL.

Had a convo with the guy in charge of the BT performance and speed testers last week.

If you are on max the PT is a 3 part test, and if your speeds are sufficiently low, it is supposed to take you on to instructions to do a BTw speedtest via a separate log in. (I think we were already of this)

I was told that if you are on MAX, then using the old BTw speedtester via IP address goes in via a backdoor which bypasses the BT loadbalancers.  Therefore he says any results obtained this way cant be considered accurate.

Need to update my site properly when I get chance -
Ive already edited the Performance Tester page slightly.
He is supposed to be sending me some more info but as yet I havent received it.

Theres also a couple of things I want to check further - because when I was "playing" with the PT the other week, I noticed I could force it to take me on to part 3 - but for some reason I still wasnt able to complete the test properly... need to do a bit more digging on that one.

But the jist of it would seem to be that if you are on max there is now no real easy way of being able to check for VP congestion like we used to be able to. :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Bryn

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 01:18:33 PM »

Open Internet Explorer >> Tools (You may need to tap the ALT key to see this menu if you're on IE7) >> Internet Options >> Connections

Pick your broadband connection from the options >> Settings

Your un/pass will be down near the bottom, record your original username and don't be worried about the number of dots you can see...Windows XP likes putting 16 there as a "Security Feature" or "Bug"

ALTERNATIVELY

Control Panel >> Network Connections (Classic Mode from the Left Panel) >> And you can edit or create a new Broadband connection here.

Havelock

Thanks Havelock. I'll give it a try and post the results in the correct place. With a bit of luck some one can tell me what it all means.

Jameseh

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 05:21:01 PM »

There's a reasonable chance this is related to your "IP Profile" dropping.  This is the speed profile at BT's end.

You can find out what your IP Profile is just by running the first part of the BT Speed Test. If it's really low, then that could indicate why you are getting poor speeds.

Either way, show us what your results are and we'll hack it to pieces :D

Regards,
James

anything