Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Backup over kill  (Read 2597 times)

mywifeshusband

Backup over kill
« on: December 17, 2008, 07:01:46 PM »

Being with BT/Yahoo I've used their 'free' version of Norton Network Protection since converting to broadband; and use an external hard drive (F) to back up all I do automatically on the PC using the Windows Scheduling and Backup software on the computer.

A couple of days ago I asked BT to remove their Norton Security software and I installed Norton 360 which includes a small backup facility which I activated. Although the PC seems to run well enough on Windows XP with both forms of Backup in operation, I do get an error message when booting up as Administrator* which says there is a Schedule.exe problem.  (I accept it by clicking OK and it goes away) This I suspect is being caused by a conflict between the two automatic backup systems that I'm using simultaneously. Both back ups do seem to be functioning properly though.

Do I have a real problem or is this something I can safely ignore.  If it needs attention can anyone suggest a workaround that will enable both backups to be fully utilised without upsetting one another.

Ta!

* I share the PC with my wife!!

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: Backup over kill
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 09:21:54 PM »

A couple of days ago I asked BT to remove their Norton Security software and I installed Norton 360 which includes a small backup facility which I activated.

First of all, BT can't un-install the original Norton product only stop supplying possibly any service to it.
So it sounds like you have installed Norton 360 on top of the original Norton, which was not removed fully (as is the case with most Norton programs) and now you have 2 scheduled tasks set up but only one fully installed program.

If you take a look in Control panel > Task scheduler, then disable or remove the "original" task that was set up.

anything