Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Errors (CRC, ES, LOS) How many is too many?  (Read 11129 times)

Coastline

Errors (CRC, ES, LOS) How many is too many?
« on: November 23, 2008, 06:24:10 PM »

Can't seem to find any definitive guide to this!

Read somewhere on this site that 1000's of CRC errors would cause problems but it didn't indicate whether this was relative to time (how long) or throughput (how much data)!

Also I believe Interleave may affect the number of acceptable errors?

Can anyone give me a guideline.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Errors (CRC, ES, LOS) How many is too many?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 06:35:00 PM »

This may help.
  Eric

Coastline

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 06:52:34 PM »

Thanks Roseway

I had read that but it doesn't give me what I am looking for:

"Many CRC errors in a short period of time " - not exactly precise is it!

I am looking for something in the region of:

Interleave:  <1000 CRC per Min/ Hour/ Day /xxxx data throughput is unlikely to cause problems or >10000 per Min/Hour  etc
Non Interleave: ......

You get the picture.

Maybe it just can't be quantified like that but was just wondering if there were any rules of thumb!

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 08:04:02 PM »

with no interleaving in a 5min period <60-100 cec & hec errors is acceptable

with interleaving <1000 crc & hec errors are ok and up to 14000 rs errors

Coastline

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 09:07:11 PM »

Thanks Ezzer that's great!

I assume you mean 14000 uncorrected RS errors?

I suppose I can stop worrying then:

CRC = 2819  LOF = 0   ES = 1178

After 14 days!

What about my LOS figure though:

LOS = 171?

« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 09:10:40 PM by Coastline »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 10:05:43 PM »

Its very hard to quantify x amount of errors, because your router should be able to cope with quite a few as long as they are spread out evenly.  Its when you get a cluster of errors together that problems occur.  Get too many CRC etc, and that when the more serious 'errors' start notching up. 
LoS is one of the most serious and its actually an alarm state...  it means theres been a small amount of 'X' time within 'Y' time-frame when the router and DSLAM havent been able to communicate.
Get a few of those within a few seconds of each other and your router will loose sync....  yet if they were evenly spaced out over an hour then you may not even notice.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Coastline

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 10:25:22 PM »

Hi Kitz,

The LOS's have been bothering me!  I have been getting around 9 per day but they are spread out and mostly at night!

I only seem to have lost sync once since MAX was enabled and that was overnight.

I wanted to get Interleave switched off but I suppose I still need to get rid of the LOS's first if possible!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 08:06:07 PM »

>> I have been getting around 9 per day but they are spread out and mostly at night!

Your router should be able to cope with those, since theyre spread out. 
I'm not sure what effect turning interleaving off would have on your line since there is the strong possibility that the FECs will become CRCs..  which could then increase the risk of the more serious error states :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Coastline

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 11:20:31 AM »

Thanks Kitz,

I have installed an ADSL nation filtered faceplate to the master socket, connected via one of their pro cables, relocated the router away from other equipment, power supplies etc and I am still getting LOS errors.  I cannot match the timing of these to any household electrical event ie lights, heating, tv etc so I can only assume that the noise issues I have are external.

I nearly had interleave switched off the other day and would have if they did what you asked them to in an email!  I eventually gave up after the 2nd e-mail I sent was bounced back with a "if you really, really, really want interleave switched off then contact us again" response!  I guess you have to ask them 3 times really, really, really nicely!

So this is the end for me!  I have spent way too much time on this already and I have a much better connection than an awful lot of people.

Thanks to everyone on this forum for helping me to understand the wonders ADSL MAX!

Tony

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 01:00:59 AM »

At the end of the day, a lot will depend upon the length and condition of your line, much of which you can have no control over.
We do try and help with many obvious faults.. but at the end of the day if your line is working well and to the best of its ability thats about all you can do.
If theres a fault or something that can be corrected then we will tell you..  but you seem to have the right attitude by realising that adsl does have its limitations :/
As long as your connection works and is giving you a decent connection that is the main thing.

..............................  although saying that...  iirc your linestats were pretty decent so it may not harm just to give BT one more push on the interleaving front just to give it a go.
from what I can remember you were syncing at near maximum, so the real benefit would be if you're a gamer and latency is important.
You should always be able to get it turned back on again if it does cause a problem.  ;)
-----

anything