Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Total Broadband - Interleaving problem  (Read 6814 times)

David

• Just arrived
BT Total Broadband - Interleaving problem
« on: January 31, 2007, 12:23:14 PM »

Hi,

I am not going to paste my DG834 modem stats, as it is not really relevant to the problem.  But it might be worthwhile to mention that I have a long line and high attenuation.  Downstream sync speed around 1500, upstream around 400.

I have asked BT to turn interleaving off.  They say that they have.  Every time I call to check they say interleaving is set to "no".

However, when use telnet to connect to my modem for stats it is obvious that the interleaving path is still being used.

I understand the risks of turning interleaving off but am willing to carry out the experiment.

Am I missing something?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: BT Total Broadband - Interleaving problem
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 01:21:14 PM »

No youre not missing anything obvious - this is a very common problem experienced by many.

The ISP asks BT to turn interleaving off..  bt says they do it..  but it never does seem to happen.
Ive seen this happen so many times and with all ISPs Im afraid.

The problem you have now is convincing your ISP that you still have interleaving turned on..  and then your ISP has to battle with BT to convince them.
BT will insist its turned off despite you seeing evidence to the contrary...  and Ive seen ISPs literally tearing their hair out over this  :(

The best thing you can do is provide your ISP with a screen cap from your router showing that you are "Interleaved" and not on "FAST".
It may also be worthwhile reminding your ISP that if they do a WOOSH test on your line then it should show them that you are on interleaved as well.

Good luck.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

David

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 02:24:20 PM »

Hi thanks for the quick response.   :)

My ISP is BT.  I have spoken to them a number of times and they are convinced interleaving has been turned off.  I have been speaking to several onshore and offshore call centres.  Some of the most knowledgeable are baffled to why it their systems say it is off but my router is reporting that it is still on.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 02:53:46 PM »

>> My ISP is BT.

Sorry I may have confused you with the reference to BT..   The BT in my posts is BT Wholesale who is responsible for providing the adsl backhaul and technology.  The are completely separate from BT (Internet/Openworld) the ISP, and the 2 are different companies in their own right.

>> Some of the most knowledgeable are baffled to why it their systems say it is off but my router is reporting that it is still on.

Your ISP is reporting what many other ISPs have also seen.. that interleaving appears to have been turned off, but in actual fact hasnt.  They have to convince BTWholesale that it isnt.

You could try asking your ISP to do a woosh check to see what it says on there.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

David

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 03:17:07 PM »

Very helpful, thanks.  On the phone now.  Will update with the results.

David

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 12:26:02 PM »

I cannot tell you how frustrating trying to turn interleaving off has been.

I have been trying to do this for over two weeks now.

BT has put through multiple orders, faults, etc. yet still it has not been turned off.  BT Wholesale has told the ISP on several occasions that the order has been completed, when in fact it hasn?t.

Every time I phone, I am told it will be complete in either 24 or 48 hrs.

Sometimes I speak to a helpful person but the majority of the time I speak to someone who wouldn't pass the Turing test.

Yet I still believe that one day interleaving will be turned off.  Probably next year.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 01:23:20 PM »

Yet I still believe that one day interleaving will be turned off.  Probably next year.

In the meantime you should perhaps be grateful for the extra stability the interleaving gives you. I don't wish to be a prophet of doom, but I've seen some reports from people who regretted having it switched off. If you have a long high-attenuation line the interleaving could be making the difference between 'reasonable' and 'awful'.

Hopefully you've done all you can to make your own internal wiring arrangements as good as possible?

Eric
  Eric

David

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 11:44:53 AM »

So after weeks and weeks of fighting to get interleaving turned off I decided to cancel my order.  I didn't want to be without a connection if my connection was unstable with interleaving turned off, while waiting for it to be turned on.

However, I wrote a letter of complaint asking for a solution to my problem.  This was two weeks ago.

No communication from BT, however, came home last night to find that interleaving has been switched off.  So there is hope for people with high line attenuation.  My modem is syncing slightly slower but download and upload speeds are slightly higher and my ping is reduced by around 25 ms.  Now playing games with a ping in the low twenties.  Modem stats below.

AR7 DSL Modem Statistics:
--------------------------------
[DSL Modem Stats]
        US Connection Rate:     448     DS Connection Rate:     1376
        DS Line Attenuation:    63      DS Margin:              10
        US Line Attenuation:    31      US Margin:              17
        US Payload :            1280326896      DS Payload:             16586748
        US Superframe Cnt :     7918102 DS Superframe Cnt:      7918102
        US Transmit Power :     0       DS Transmit Power:      0
        LOS errors:             0       SEF errors:             0
        Frame mode:             3       Max Frame mode:         0
        Trained Path:           0       US Peak Cell Rate:      1056
        Trained Mode:           3       Selected Mode:          1
        ATUC Vendor Code:       54535443        ATUC Revision:  2
        Hybrid Selected:        1       Trellis:                1
        Showtime Count:         2       DS Max Attainable Bit Rate:     1408
        BitSwap:                1       US Max Attainable Bit Rate:     n/a

[Upstream (TX) Interleave path]
        CRC:    0       FEC:    0       NCD:    1
        LCD:    0       HEC:    0

[Downstream (RX) Interleave path]
        CRC:    0       FEC:    0       NCD:    0

[Upstream (TX) Fast path]
        CRC:    323     FEC:    816     NCD:    0

[Downstream (RX) Fast path]
        CRC:    2844    FEC:    0       NCD:    0

Any comments on the stats?

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 12:54:05 PM »

Only comment is that they're looking good. The DG834 seems to struggle with Interleaving for some reason, mine was awful. I think they try to sync too high or something and as such make the line less reliable than without!

Glad you've got it sorted, finally :)
Chris