Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Thoughts about modems with tweakable margins  (Read 7903 times)

orainsear

• Reg Member
Re: Thoughts about modems with tweakable margins
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2008, 01:23:10 PM »

The chipset/board inside these routers is actually inferior to the parts they used on the v6's and Ive recently heard that the v7's were designed specifically to be cheaper at the request of a UK ISP.

The v6 uses the BCM6348 chipset, the v7 uses the newer (but apparently poorer) BCM6338 chipset.  Here's a link to a picture of the v7 internals if anyone is interested.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2008, 04:52:54 PM »

I noticed mine was reporting BCM 96338 V1.0.173
whilst my ST 585v6 is a BCM 6348

Thanks for the linky to the pic
- I was considering pulling mine to pieces if it is completely dead, but I still havent tried it again yet.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2008, 10:44:53 AM »

I was initially delighted with my 585 V7 as it synced much faster than my old box, a very old (by the modern definition of 'old') 3Com Officeconnect.  Maybe if I compared it to something more modern, I'd have seen a less impressive speed gain.

But, happy as I was, after about a week, the 585 V7 froze requiring reboot.  Then the same a couple of days later.  Whatever's wrong it's getting worse as the freezes are now several times a day.  So it's out of service and I've reinstalled my old 3Com while I think about what to do.  A slow connection is heaps better than an unreliable one.  I notice there's a later firmware, but Thomson don't make it easy to find updates, and they seem to offer no help at all installing them.  In any case, I'm reluctant to believe that firmware probes would cause the problems I've seen, it's much more likely to be thermally triggered after the thing's warmed up for a few days.

The old 3Com served me well.  A few weeks after it arrrived back in 2005, there followed another package (from Amazon) enclosing a spare PSU, and explaining they'd had a lot of failures and this was a spare.  After about a year the original PSU did fail, on a Christmas Eve, leaving me high and dry over Christmas without Internet acess.  But who cared - I'd got that spare PSU!  The HTML configuration was nice too, everything you wanted was easy and intuitive to find with not too many mouse clicks to get there.   the only downside was that 'applying' any change necessitated a full restart.  As for reliability,  I only remember one one occasion, about half way through the four years or so that I used it, where it froze up needing reboot. 

Whatever I end up buying next, the 3Com's going to be a hard act to follow (wiping tear from eye).... :(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2008, 06:38:05 PM »

>> I was initially delighted with my 585 V7 as it synced much faster than my old box,

This is something that many people have reported, and why I think that at first it was thought that the v7 was going to be another good box from speedtouch, and early reports were good.. 
I too thought it was ok when I first put it on, but as time progressed Im not convinced.. and I am beginning to see more people having niggles with it :/

>> The old 3Com served me well.

I know what you mean..  my first router (SAR110) stills hold a fond place for me since the amount of stuff and diagnostics "inside the box" was very good. The downside was that they never did a wireless version, and that was the only reason I replaced it.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 [2]